All Diyaudio Threads about not available Optical Pickup's from Sony's KSS-Series

good advices. All this must already done before first check of RF signal to avoid unnecessary risks for damage the very low-quality "original equipment" diode "SLD-104U" in use by the KSS-272A.
An other great deficiency are various leaked electrolytic capacitors (in a SMD outline) on the PCB of the disc motor (turntable/spindle motor).
Also the quality standart of those capacitors was the worst possible (in many cases, the conductors are eaten so much that they have already disappeared).
Sanyo OSCON was here the best choice - so I think.

In the meantime, I refuse service to these ESPRIT stuff from SONY, because I note by compare even to the cheapest JVC CD devices - equipped with "OPTIMA" optical pick up - that the parts quality here was significantly higher.
The Evidence is very clear - most of JVC CD player stuff works fine without any issues after perform usual maintenance work - independend of the price class.

Also Pioneer and much other with "First Generation" Philips stuff (CDM 0-4) are much more easy by service than SONY ESPRIT with KSS laserheads.

Even in case of reintroduce of this coveted KSS units, extensive repairs in other sections are additional needed in most cases.

Last edited:
On my CDP-501ES BSL motor does not run. I just resoldered BSL board as tubeboob suggested, still the same. There is Q201, disc brake cancel switch, which allows or shuts square wave signal to pin 8 of IC201, CX193 disc motor servo. Q201 is always on, even when CD is inserted, grounding that signal. I disconnected base of Q201 and got square wave on pin 8, but disc motor still would not run... I couldn't see saw tooth signal on pins 1 and 3 of CX193, even with sqare wave on input (pin 8). Any idea?

it must be this mechanism:
http://forum.vintage-audio-laser.com/photoperso/sony/modif-cdp101/cdp501es.png

The KSS-100A seems to be the most reliable head of the KSS series.
This means, that in cases of not right working, that other parts must replace.

On my CDP-501ES BSL motor does not run. I just resoldered BSL board as tubeboob suggested, still the same. There is Q201, disc brake cancel switch, which allows or shuts square wave signal to pin 8 of IC201, CX193 disc motor servo. Q201 is always on, even when CD is inserted, grounding that signal. I disconnected base of Q201 and got square wave on pin 8, but disc motor still would not run... I couldn't see saw tooth signal on pins 1 and 3 of CX193, even with sqare wave on input (pin 8). Any idea?

Without a second device of the same model in working condition troubleshooting is for me to time-consuming. Crosswise replace of parts save a lot of time by error fixing.

Last edited:
Sony CDP-101

Hi guys,
I have as mentioned simillar but older player Sony CDP-101 but I have oposite problem: when I turn ON the player, the spindle motor spins like devil and spins and spins without stopping.
had some of you this problem fixed before?
thank you

Last edited:
tubeboob:

i just saw your post.
thanks for posting this.
did you ever get your machine "fixed"?
i have a 779 that, probably once a month, shows this issue.
i plan to open it and take some measurements.

sony has bit me repeatedly in the past with cold solder joints, especially in TVs and in particular, the tuner modules. after the last one, i switched to mitsubishi, only to get bit by the smd leaky caps problem.

:eek:

mlloyd1

Here's the quote:

"The Vintage Knob‬
Sony CDP-X779/707ES & other models using the same transport‬
‪ ‬by ‪ilimzn‬ » Mon May 16, 2011 12:01 am
Also titled: are you sure it's the laser going bad?

Users of these fine machines and also related models using the same mechanism based on the KSS272A laser block, that have problems with their machines reading some discs, may find this of use:

Two problems that often crop up that look like the laser may be going bad, but are NOT laser related at all, so be sure to check:

The above problem pertains to all CDPs with the same mechanism, that would be CDP-X303, 339, 505, 559, 707, 779 and corresponding Japanese model designators.

The following problem is specific to the CDP-C779/707 (and Japanese market equivalents):

I sure would like to know, as my X707ES still works most of the time, and the symptoms listed here fit mine to a "T".

Just hard to find a "competent" tech to look at my unit.

I also have a spare (X339ES) in mint condition for when I have to.

Comments welcome and appreciated, as I, and all of us here, need help.

Cheers

This is a handy site to show what Sony units have which lasers:
TVK: Sony resource: laser pickups
good overview - thank you.

the mentioned item numbers of laser diodes under post #17 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/225968-toshiba-dlba2z002b-laser.html
are suited not only for the KSS-151A. I think, this diode is suited for the most of the KSS-series also for KSS-272A, KSS-273A and KSS-274A.
The actually question is now, which companies are there to carry out the exchange and the follow adjust of the APC circuit.

tubeboob:

i just saw your post.
thanks for posting this.
did you ever get your machine "fixed"?
i have a 779 that, probably once a month, shows this issue.
i plan to open it and take some measurements.

sony has bit me repeatedly in the past with cold solder joints, especially in TVs and in particular, the tuner modules. after the last one, i switched to mitsubishi, only to get bit by the smd leaky caps problem.

:eek:

mlloyd1

I haven't had it looked at as this particular CD player is sitting in its box in storage. I haven't found a competent tech that I trust to handle the repair. If you know any one in the NYC area, please let me know.

Last time I played it, it played just fine, and the issue is intermittent.

How did yours turn out?

Who did your repair?

Cheers

tubeboob:

i did my own repairs. however, as i get older i find i enjoy doing repair work less and less though. i guess it's my 55 years old eyes and fingers, while electronics keeps getting smaller.

i have seen no problems with the machine since the repairs, but it was a very intermittent issue, so it's probably too early to declare victory ...
:)

ilimzn's original message contains the useful info:

"The solution is simple: change R961 from 4.7k to 820 ohms.
There are a few optional steps that can be taken to further improve things, including long term reliability:
Changing C963 from 2200uF/10V to say 4700uF/6.3V additionally improves Vee stiffness and stability. Often just doing that without the R961 fix reduces the skipping problem, clearly showing Vee is the culprit.
The 5V output is invariably a bit high, around 5.2 - 5.3V. It can be trimmed closer to 5.1V as stated in the manual by soldering a 27k resistor in parallel to R956, on the bottom side of the board. This is important because the laser head is supplied with this voltage, so overvolting is not at all desirable here. The 6V voltage (incorrectly labeled as 7V in the manual!) is not that critical and can be left alone."

i made all the recommended changes.

mlloyd1

KSS210A

Recently got hold of a sony CD player which uses KSS210a laser and found it was jumping around unable to read all the tracks. I had the same problem on an Arcam 7 and replaced the laser there - no problems.

So i got a new kss210a from HK and fitted it to the new sony, and the motor does not spin up, put the old one back, motor spins OK. Checked wiring to see if I'd busted something, all seems fine.

got out big magnifying glass to see if there was any difference between the 2 - they seem identical.

I read somewhere about removing an ESD strap on the KSS210A. I can't see any difference between the old and new one, so my question is - is there an ESD strap and where is it

CHeers Tim S