All Diyaudio Threads about not available Optical Pickup's from Sony's KSS-Series

thanks, that was interesting.

what i'd really like to find is some info on identifying a good spindle motor to use in place of those cheap mabuchi motors i've had to replace.

mlloyd1

This is how I solved it:
I baught a new Mabuchi motor BUT because shaft lenghts in todays Mabuchi motors are longer, I added a brass spacer with an additional bronce bearing in the center.
Even thought the brass spacer can be screwed on the motor, i should not recommen this. Why?
The housing of the motor is never even. The bearing will block the shaft, nevertheless how precisely the spacer is milled.
Because of this, a very strong, non flexible and fast hardening 2-component glue is needed.
The spacer has to be glued on the motor while it is running, the motor should be placed horzontally while doing so.
Maybe the spacer has to be fixed with tape while the glue hardens, afterwards, the spacer can be also fixed with screws.
After this mod, theoretically, youw ill have a motor with at least a longer bearing, which might not wear out quickly, and more accurate 90 degree angle, when the spacer is milled accurate.
But to be frank, I saw no difference in the eyepattern after doing the mod.
Having the spacer milled did cost about 50$
The drawing I added is for the Mabuchi RF-310T-11400.
As far as I remember, the original shaft lenght was 16mm. The replacement motor was 23 mm.
I designed for a Nakamichi OMS-5/7 Mark II
The bronce bearing is for shafts with 2mm diameters.
Text of the drawing is only in German, sorry.

Attachments

• Brassspacer.pdf
    84.2 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
This is how I solved it:
I baught a new Mabuchi motor BUT because shaft lenghts in todays Mabuchi motors are longer, I added a brass spacer with an additional bronce bearing in the center.
Even thought the brass spacer can be screwed on the motor, i should not recommen this. Why?
The housing of the motor is never even. The bearing will block the shaft, nevertheless how precisely the spacer is milled.
Because of this, a very strong, non flexible and fast hardening 2-component glue is needed.
The spacer has to be glued on the motor while it is running, the motor should be placed horzontally while doing so.
Maybe the spacer has to be fixed with tape while the glue hardens, afterwards, the spacer can be also fixed with screws.
After this mod, theoretically, youw ill have a motor with at least a longer bearing, which might not wear out quickly, and more accurate 90 degree angle, when the spacer is milled accurate.
But to be frank, I saw no difference in the eyepattern after doing the mod.
Having the spacer milled did cost about 50$
The drawing I added is for the Mabuchi RF-310T-11400.
As far as I remember, the original shaft lenght was 16mm. The replacement motor was 23 mm.
I designed for a Nakamichi OMS-5/7 Mark II
The bronce bearing is for shafts with 2mm diameters.
Text of the drawing is only in German, sorry.

Thank you for your advices.
Unfortunately this is not the right subject therefore.
For this reason I start this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...replace-motor-service-wanted.html#post2076639

So, what are we saying, this unit is now obsolete unavailable, unrepairable junk?
Someone else in a post suggested that what dies in these is the photodiodes, not the laser itself!
Ok, can this unit be repaired by any means other than an exact replacement being transplanted in??
Inquiring minds would like to know...bear

When I have found a perfect successor of the uused diode SLD-104U, the chances are good for successfully repair/restoration. I start therefore this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...uccessor-sld-104u-sony-esprit-kss-series.html

Please let me know, who is "somebody else", that assumes the death PDIC is responible for the failure ??
I cannot rule out this, but how he has verify this died OPIC?

Last edited:
Try this site. OEM Factory for KSS-213C,khs400b,KSS240A,kss-213B, KSM213CCM,Vam1202,khs400c.khs400r,KSM440,CDM12.1,K SM213CJM,KSM213QCM,VAM1201,H8147AF,CMS-B31,Soh-AAU,VAM1223/11,SF-HD3,DV32,DV34,,hop1200s,kss-210a,kss-210b,kss-212a/b,

Would be a large group buy. Contacted them some years ago, as far as I remember the limit was 6000 pcs, but I could be wrong...

Would be a large group buy. Contacted them some years ago, as far as I remember the limit was 6000 pcs, but I could be wrong...
This things are interesting to know:
1) Is VCD pickup manufacturer, distributor or both?
2) what about the product quality, if VCD pickup is manufacturer?
1) which European wholesaler (like Nedis or Farnell) buys there?
About VCD-pickup I don't get informations about european distributors.

I have start in this case this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ick-up-cd-player-wholesaler-manufacturer.html

I need CDM12.4 laser heads in right quality and I am not able to identify the actually brand of manufacturing (because not exist logo) - this is my problem. In China at least three different manufacturers produces this laser unit. Also by that one of KSM-213CCM (the KSS-213C) I have very great problems to identify the actually manufacturer.
If this laser units comes from
http://www.kyoshin.hk/eng/index.php
or
http://threesixtyltd.en.ec21.com/Kss_210b_Kss_212a_Kss--3580237_3583045.html
the quality is right, but I cannot identify also this brands, because the logo is not present.

Last edited:
What is the possibility of convincing Sony to produce these laser pick ups again, for the consumers who have spent several thousand dollars for high end audio pieces.

Seems to me that Sony would garner a vast amount of "good will" by supporting their products, especially their "high end" products.

Everyone is aware of the support Polk Audio has from the people who own Polk, as well as from those who don't. This is due, in large part, to the aftermarket support that Polk offers.

I have Polks from the 1970's and I can still get parts for them.

Maybe Sony would consider permitting an entity to have these laser pick ups produces in runs of say 500 or 1000 or whatever just to keep these sweet sounding players playing.

Cheers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tiefbassuebertr,
You've gone to a lot of work to stick all of this together. I can possibly help with some of the questions here.

The lasers in pickup heads become lower in efficiency over time, depending on run time hours, temperature and to some extend the original run time current. The output of the laser will drop as the temperature goes up, so there is a monitor diode and APC circuit that maintains a pretty constant light output. Some CD players have adjustable laser current (= power) that needed to be set to a specific level. Laser power meters are required to perform this adjustment properly. Philips decided to use their test disc (5) as the standard and you set the power to an RF amplitude. Of course, that doesn't really work well as my copy of Philips 5 has a lower reflectivity. At $200 (at the time) they refused to replace my brand new test CD. Nice company.

Early Yamaha and NEC players (and the buyers of those OEM transports) had adjustable laser current. They also had adjustable diffraction grating. Now that is a hairy adjustment. Philips of course as well.

So, just like an LED, lasers get weak over time. Because the current in a laser head is so much higher than most LEDs, this occurs at a faster rate. Another point of interest you should know. Laser diodes only emit laser light above a critical level of current (this is important to know). They will increase the light output until the second critical level is reached. Then they burn out, or fail. There is zero warning before this occurs, so do not touch the darn power level controls.

There is a rule of thumb that is used to determine when a laser is spend and does require replacement. That figure is 10%. When the laser current has reached a level that is 10% above the factory test current (printed on each head or cable), the head is done. This isn't a money making thing, it's designed to keep bad technicians from ripping off consumers. If the head reads low output, a service tech may increase the level in order to determine what else is wrong in a CD player in order to provide an estimate. The control should then be returned to it's original position. Because the head may fail instantly while doing this, it's only done to help avoid a "creeping estimate". Again, it is for the good of the customer and the shop. It keeps people honest. I can't tell you how many times I have got a CD player in with a toasted head because "someone who knew what they were doing had a look". No, they did not know what they were doing, that's for sure.

As for machines with a good head that are estimated a head replacement, there are reason why this happens. TV shops (should never touch CD players) have historically estimated the most expensive thing that could cause the complaint. CD no play = "needs a head". The other reason are the number of "technicians" that don't understand CD players who decide they are an expert on everything. They don't know any better, so that's the cause in their mind. They may even believe they are right and order a replacement. It's also possible to kill a brand new head when installing it. That is why actual, real training is required for each device type in audio.

As the other link indicates, there are numerous reasons for a CD player not to play. They are not all listed there. Keep in mind that trained techs look at some specific test points in order to find out what's going on. They are not listed there, thank god!

Lastly, that is not the proper way to clean a laser head. In fact, messing with the optics can cause the diffraction grating adjustment to be out, and some of those are sealed. Nice. Do not disassemble any laser heads! Hidden dangers await, and if the head wasn't the problem, now it is. Good going!

When I was in training to be a good technician, one mentor / head technician said to me "if you don't know precisely what you are doing, DO NOT TOUCH!". Hey, the guy was right. I had to swallow my pride and really learn. That killed the cocky quality that I had - as most technicians have. I'm a far better person for it.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tubeboob,
Nice thinking, but understand that hardly any manufacturer wants their products repaired - especially not Sony and a few others out there. Philips is far worse than Sony in that regard.

Speaker manufacturers on the other hand make money on spare parts. They do want their stuff fixed. Their parts skews aren't nearly as extensive as any electronics manufacturer has to deal with. Of course, one and two year model lives exacerbate this situation.

This is why good repair shops and technicians are difficult to find. It's an uphill battle that isn't appreciated by the public. It just ain't worth the trouble to run a large shop - honestly. I know. I sold mine about 10 years ago for that very reason.

-Chris

Dear I have problem against acd player error message''no disc' sony cd-147 CR optical lens that they used is not in the market so kindly if there is some alternates
the lens kss 331c is used in the cd player I opened it but I have not found yet the screw to adjust it if any image you have in which the place of the screw is marked
would be helpfull and the other thing clockwise rotating or anti clockwise.?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi, I arrived to this forum because I searched informations about KSS-210A laser pick-up with google. I read your threads and I saw that you are very expert. So please could you help me? I had a Kenwood RXD-C3L Stereo hi-fi from more than 10 years and a year ago laser pick-up leaved me. So I bought a new KSS-210A laser on ebay and replaced it. Unfortunately this laser after only a year doesn't work very well. Probably it wasn't original. Now I have to replace it again. Could you give me some suggestions? Could I replace my KSS-210A with another laser model, possibly of better quality? If no, what do you think about this?

KSS210A [KSS210A] - Dkk172.00 : Hallenslev Radio/tv, Velkommen i on-line butikken

Is it, in your opinion, an original laser? Thanks.

Does anyone know if the Sony KSS-190A uses a Sharp LT022MC laser ?
Observe this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...s-kss-optical-pick-up-series.html#post2710030
and this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...uccessor-sld-104u-sony-esprit-kss-series.html
Hi, I arrived to this forum because I searched informations about KSS-210A laser pick-up with google. I read your threads and I saw that you are very expert. So please could you help me? I had a Kenwood RXD-C3L Stereo hi-fi from more than 10 years and a year ago laser pick-up leaved me. So I bought a new KSS-210A laser on ebay and replaced it. Unfortunately this laser after only a year doesn't work very well. Probably it wasn't original. Now I have to replace it again. Could you give me some suggestions? Could I replace my KSS-210A with another laser model, possibly of better quality? If no, what do you think about this?
KSS210A [KSS210A] - Dkk172.00 : Hallenslev Radio/tv, Velkommen i on-line butikken
You must try to find out, from which factory is this KSS-part (as I know, Sony itself has never produced this part).
If it comes from
http://www.kyoshin.hk/eng/index.php
the quality is the same than initial equipment.
Nobody can clearly say this, because there is mostly no possibility to find out the actually producer. By nothing of the parts are to find any logo or brand name.
Unfortunately I am not expert in this case. Only guys from Japan are able to find out the right suppliers for such parts.
Please explain the exactly behaviour of your cd player after closing the tray - both with and without insert cd. Then I will try to give you additional advices.

Last edited:
Where to find new KSS151A - no where...
Sometimes late at night...
Idea to marriage KSS151A + SOHOT4
My loved cd93 is working now

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 640
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 662