All Diyaudio Threads about not available Optical Pickup's from Sony's KSS-Series - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 10:08 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

good advices. All this must already done before first check of RF signal to avoid unnecessary risks for damage the very low-quality "original equipment" diode "SLD-104U" in use by the KSS-272A.
An other great deficiency are various leaked electrolytic capacitors (in a SMD outline) on the PCB of the disc motor (turntable/spindle motor).
Also the quality standart of those capacitors was the worst possible (in many cases, the conductors are eaten so much that they have already disappeared).
Sanyo OSCON was here the best choice - so I think.

In the meantime, I refuse service to these ESPRIT stuff from SONY, because I note by compare even to the cheapest JVC CD devices - equipped with "OPTIMA" optical pick up - that the parts quality here was significantly higher.
The Evidence is very clear - most of JVC CD player stuff works fine without any issues after perform usual maintenance work - independend of the price class.

Also Pioneer and much other with "First Generation" Philips stuff (CDM 0-4) are much more easy by service than SONY ESPRIT with KSS laserheads.

Even in case of reintroduce of this coveted KSS units, extensive repairs in other sections are additional needed in most cases.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 6th December 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:31 AM   #62
Tomom is offline Tomom  Australia
diyAudio Member

On my CDP-501ES BSL motor does not run. I just resoldered BSL board as tubeboob suggested, still the same. There is Q201, disc brake cancel switch, which allows or shuts square wave signal to pin 8 of IC201, CX193 disc motor servo. Q201 is always on, even when CD is inserted, grounding that signal. I disconnected base of Q201 and got square wave on pin 8, but disc motor still would not run... I couldn't see saw tooth signal on pins 1 and 3 of CX193, even with sqare wave on input (pin 8). Any idea?
Old 6th December 2012, 10:33 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

I tested motor, it is ok...
Old 6th December 2012, 11:37 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

it must be this mechanism:
http://forum.vintage-audio-laser.com...1/cdp501es.png

The KSS-100A seems to be the most reliable head of the KSS series.
This means, that in cases of not right working, that other parts must replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomom View Post
On my CDP-501ES BSL motor does not run. I just resoldered BSL board as tubeboob suggested, still the same. There is Q201, disc brake cancel switch, which allows or shuts square wave signal to pin 8 of IC201, CX193 disc motor servo. Q201 is always on, even when CD is inserted, grounding that signal. I disconnected base of Q201 and got square wave on pin 8, but disc motor still would not run... I couldn't see saw tooth signal on pins 1 and 3 of CX193, even with sqare wave on input (pin 8). Any idea?
Without a second device of the same model in working condition troubleshooting is for me to time-consuming. Crosswise replace of parts save a lot of time by error fixing.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 6th December 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:13 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Without a second device of the same model in working condition troubleshooting is for me to time-consuming. Crosswise replace of parts save a lot of time by error fixing.
I agree with that - just I couldn't source CX193...

Laser does try to focus but in vain as disc does not spin...
Old 6th December 2012, 01:01 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomom View Post
I agree with that - just I couldn't source CX193...

Laser does try to focus but in vain as disc does not spin...
check out this offers
http://www.abtronics.ru/components/C..._24563539.html
Sansui Xr-q9 Sony Ps-x45 Circuito Intgrado Cx193 Toca Disco - R$ 159,00 no MercadoLivre
CX193 also in use here:
Sony PS-X45 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine
Sansui XR-Q9 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine
and by CDP101:
Dicas de Reparação - Defeitos - Avarias

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 6th December 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:54 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I sent e-mail to that Russian site, see what happens...
Old 13th December 2012, 02:01 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Hi, Tomtom
The Sony CDP-501ES is almost identical to the Sony CDP-101 internally and shares the same inherent faults, Primarily the STK6922 (BX1201) focus and tracking servo ic's failing!
have a look at; Adrian-Kingston.com - Sony CDP-101 CD Player

Hope this is of some help.
Simon.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:00 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Default Replace of Laser Diode - Image Series

check out this thread:
TOSHIBA DLBA2Z002B laser
Old 19th December 2012, 08:10 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

I was not able to solve the problem yet; I think it may not be laser, but not sure. If anyone has a working one and wants to get rid of it, let me know please...

Hide this!Advertise here!