All Diyaudio Threads about not available Optical Pickup's from Sony's KSS-Series - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2012, 07:46 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

There are only compatybility in optical system and electrically.
Mecanically samsung sohot4 has totally different dimentions.
There are handy work for sometime
Naturally there are multiplicity of problems
Cutting works of sohot4 lasts endlessly
Optical centre is crucial
Adopt sohot4 to kss151a frame is all pain

Last edited by artegagt; 4th May 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 5th May 2012, 12:42 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
... from all laser units that I know, Sony's laser heads above KSS-120 by far the worst of all (life time, reliability), even the models for the ESPRIT series like KSS-272A. Two main reasons are therefore responsible:
1) the suspension of the collimator lens (plastic leaf spring instead spring wire)
2) the diode itself...
Timely, thanks, as I begin to grapple with a CDP101 whilst waiting anxiously for the arrival of a CDP102, and hoping to swap the both of them for a 337ESD. If the lasers don't work I'll be stuck with a heap of heavy metal.

So far, I've been very pleased with the reliability of CDM2 and early CDM4 mechs, and the plastic Philips cases they commonly live in even have a moulded dock that fits the nose of the loader so you can up-end it in situ and run it vertically for servicing. And I love the equally well-engineered Toshiba plastic and steel machines that jiggle and fuss but get the job done come hell or high water, thanks in part to their plastic springs.

I was looking forward to these Sonys with trepidation because of all the heavy metal, and consequent inertia in mostly the wrong places. Not nearly enough plastic.

So what's wrong with Sony springs? How many Sony machines have been dumped for want of a spring? Sony will almost certainly have bought far more springs than they needed, so I wonder where's the remainder. Where are the moulds?

Philips plastic-and-steel CDM2 and CDM4 seem to last well, and could last longer were it not for the abuse they receive, not only from ignorant meddlers but also from the ill-considered unregulated voltages they are often supplied with.

Possibly the same is true of the commodity-grade KSS150A. It has a laser that seems to last as well as most, and when it eventually inevitably fails, a replacement can be found quickly and easily in a skip or rubbish heap, or on ebay for next to nothing.

Heavy metal is a fetish. Learn to love plastic.

Ian
Old 13th September 2012, 01:01 PM   #43
dowser is offline dowser  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Sony CDP-X339ES available in Switzerland here;

Sony cdp X339es in Petit-Lancy von comtesce kaufen bei ricardo.ch

It uses the KSS-272A laser unit I believe (but spin motors are different, so you will need to transplant laser unit only across into one of their higher spec machines).

Richard
Old 28th October 2012, 07:32 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

KSS190A bar t'at. Sorry Osvaldo

Investigating a loudening rotation-speed ticking, now focusing on the, er, fucusing. Sadly suspecting a weakening laser Eye pattern manages just 0.8-1.0V

I notice that the radial motor sensing coil is 6k when it should be 2k according to the manual. I can't see how a single coil can go wrong, so I assume the manual is mistaken, again.

Anyone managed to replace a laser/monitor diode in one of these yet?

I've just noticed on the second photo that the rim of the lens holder appears scuffed. No sign on the CD, but perhaps it's moving too close?

That lump of plastic isn't nearly as good as the spring on the Tosh in my avatar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01743c.jpg (762.4 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01741s.jpg (333.6 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by PlasticIsGood; 28th October 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 28th October 2012, 02:02 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

check out last postings from
Laser Diode Successor of SLD-104U for SONY ESPRIT KSS Series
Old 30th October 2012, 06:13 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

That clump of threads is a tangled web.

It's not clear what is compatible with what. Does the 337ESD with kss190a contain the SLD-104U or AU, or what?

I'm not really equipped for working with the kind of precision necessary to align a laser head unless components are positively located and are of same dimensions as original.

I don't want to touch the laser until I know it's nearly dead. Some new caps around the servos have allowed me to adjust focus gain and bias to reduce the ticking sound to a low level and increase the rf voltage to 1.1V so it may limp along for a while.

There are "C04 6FR" diodes on ebay, sold for kss151a, but I don't know if they are suitable.

Have anyone managed to fit one successfully? If I felt I had a reasonable chance of success, I'd be happy to do it and document the process.
Old 30th October 2012, 07:10 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticIsGood View Post
That clump of threads is a tangled web.

It's not clear what is compatible with what. Does the 337ESD with kss190a contain the SLD-104U or AU, or what?

I'm not really equipped for working with the kind of precision necessary to align a laser head unless components are positively located and are of same dimensions as original.

I don't want to touch the laser until I know it's nearly dead. Some new caps around the servos have allowed me to adjust focus gain and bias to reduce the ticking sound to a low level and increase the rf voltage to 1.1V so it may limp along for a while.

There are "C04 6FR" diodes on ebay, sold for kss151a, but I don't know if they are suitable.

Have anyone managed to fit one successfully? If I felt I had a reasonable chance of success, I'd be happy to do it and document the process.
check out various SONY service manuals from those models, where is in use both KSS151 and KSS190.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:54 AM   #48
Tomom is offline Tomom  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have Sony CDP-501es and I belive it needs laser replacement. Disc spins for few seconds, then stops and tray comes out. The laser assembly is KSS-100a.
1. What is the way (procedure) to establish that laser is at fault?
2. This laser assembly is impossible to get; can another laser diode be substituted, and which one?
3. Is laser light of that particular one visible light or infra-red?

Thanks a lot...
Old 10th November 2012, 10:37 AM   #49
Tomom is offline Tomom  Australia
diyAudio Member

...also, after reading "Laserology" I can add the following:
- if assembly moved to the middle of tracks, it will come back to the most inner position.

- I was not able to notice laser moving up or down in attempt to adjust focus...
Old 10th November 2012, 12:52 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomom View Post
I have Sony CDP-501es and I belive it needs laser replacement. Disc spins for few seconds, then stops and tray comes out. The laser assembly is KSS-100a.
1. What is the way (procedure) to establish that laser is at fault?
2. This laser assembly is impossible to get; can another laser diode be substituted, and which one?
3. Is laser light of that particular one visible light or infra-red?

Thanks a lot...
Check RF level while disc spinning. If the level is less than 60-70 % of those level from the service manual, laser diode must replace (never done until know by KSS-100A).
At best you order a second CDP-501es device in working condition and now you can compare various parts for checking. Other way for troubleshooting are very complicated and it is very difficult to get clear statements.

Hide this!Advertise here!