All Diyaudio Threads about not available Optical Pickup's from Sony's KSS-Series - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2010, 08:58 AM   #21
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
thanks, that was interesting.

what i'd really like to find is some info on identifying a good spindle motor to use in place of those cheap mabuchi motors i've had to replace.

mlloyd1
This is how I solved it:
I baught a new Mabuchi motor BUT because shaft lenghts in todays Mabuchi motors are longer, I added a brass spacer with an additional bronce bearing in the center.
Even thought the brass spacer can be screwed on the motor, i should not recommen this. Why?
The housing of the motor is never even. The bearing will block the shaft, nevertheless how precisely the spacer is milled.
Because of this, a very strong, non flexible and fast hardening 2-component glue is needed.
The spacer has to be glued on the motor while it is running, the motor should be placed horzontally while doing so.
Maybe the spacer has to be fixed with tape while the glue hardens, afterwards, the spacer can be also fixed with screws.
After this mod, theoretically, youw ill have a motor with at least a longer bearing, which might not wear out quickly, and more accurate 90 degree angle, when the spacer is milled accurate.
But to be frank, I saw no difference in the eyepattern after doing the mod.
Having the spacer milled did cost about 50$
The drawing I added is for the Mabuchi RF-310T-11400.
As far as I remember, the original shaft lenght was 16mm. The replacement motor was 23 mm.
I designed for a Nakamichi OMS-5/7 Mark II
The bronce bearing is for shafts with 2mm diameters.
Text of the drawing is only in German, sorry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brassspacer.pdf (84.2 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Salar; 6th February 2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 7th February 2010, 10:37 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar View Post
This is how I solved it:
I baught a new Mabuchi motor BUT because shaft lenghts in todays Mabuchi motors are longer, I added a brass spacer with an additional bronce bearing in the center.
Even thought the brass spacer can be screwed on the motor, i should not recommen this. Why?
The housing of the motor is never even. The bearing will block the shaft, nevertheless how precisely the spacer is milled.
Because of this, a very strong, non flexible and fast hardening 2-component glue is needed.
The spacer has to be glued on the motor while it is running, the motor should be placed horzontally while doing so.
Maybe the spacer has to be fixed with tape while the glue hardens, afterwards, the spacer can be also fixed with screws.
After this mod, theoretically, youw ill have a motor with at least a longer bearing, which might not wear out quickly, and more accurate 90 degree angle, when the spacer is milled accurate.
But to be frank, I saw no difference in the eyepattern after doing the mod.
Having the spacer milled did cost about 50$
The drawing I added is for the Mabuchi RF-310T-11400.
As far as I remember, the original shaft lenght was 16mm. The replacement motor was 23 mm.
I designed for a Nakamichi OMS-5/7 Mark II
The bronce bearing is for shafts with 2mm diameters.
Text of the drawing is only in German, sorry.
Thank you for your advices.
Unfortunately this is not the right subject therefore.
For this reason I start this thread:
Compact Disc Motor and Turntable - Advices for Replace and Motor Service wanted
Old 7th February 2010, 11:03 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
So, what are we saying, this unit is now obsolete unavailable, unrepairable junk?
Someone else in a post suggested that what dies in these is the photodiodes, not the laser itself!
Ok, can this unit be repaired by any means other than an exact replacement being transplanted in??
Inquiring minds would like to know...bear
When I have found a perfect successor of the uused diode SLD-104U, the chances are good for successfully repair/restoration. I start therefore this thread:
Laser Diode Successor of SLD-104U for SONY ESPRIT KSS Series

Please let me know, who is "somebody else", that assumes the death PDIC is responible for the failure ??
I cannot rule out this, but how he has verify this died OPIC?

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 7th February 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 19th March 2010, 04:42 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Very cheap KSS-272A for only $ 600

today I have found this russian supplier:
Kogerer - CD / (scoll down)
http://www.kogerer.ru/subj/pic/kss272a.jpg
Also KSS-274A available on this site.
But I don't know, whether this offer is still relevant.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:20 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Try this site. OEM Factory for KSS-213C,khs400b,KSS240A,kss-213B, KSM213CCM,Vam1202,khs400c.khs400r,KSM440,CDM12.1,K SM213CJM,KSM213QCM,VAM1201,H8147AF,CMS-B31,Soh-AAU,VAM1223/11,SF-HD3,DV32,DV34,,hop1200s,kss-210a,kss-210b,kss-212a/b,
Would be a large group buy. Contacted them some years ago, as far as I remember the limit was 6000 pcs, but I could be wrong...
Old 22nd April 2010, 03:19 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Would be a large group buy. Contacted them some years ago, as far as I remember the limit was 6000 pcs, but I could be wrong...

Really? I thought a fellow diyaudio member who works in that company was offering philips cdpro2 drive in one of these diy audio thread. So I presume we could buy one retail from them.
Old 22nd April 2010, 03:47 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Also found this, eBay Seller: supermanmeliu: Electronics, Video Games items on eBay.com
Old 23rd April 2010, 06:22 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Really? I thought a fellow diyaudio member who works in that company was offering philips cdpro2 drive in one of these diy audio thread. So I presume we could buy one retail from them.
Contacted them officially for KSS-123A. maybe 10 years ago...
Old 25th April 2010, 10:10 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This things are interesting to know:
1) Is VCD pickup manufacturer, distributor or both?
2) what about the product quality, if VCD pickup is manufacturer?
1) which European wholesaler (like Nedis or Farnell) buys there?
About VCD-pickup I don't get informations about european distributors.

I have start in this case this thread:
Optical Pick Up for CD Player Wholesaler or Manufacturer?

I need CDM12.4 laser heads in right quality and I am not able to identify the actually brand of manufacturing (because not exist logo) - this is my problem. In China at least three different manufacturers produces this laser unit. Also by that one of KSM-213CCM (the KSS-213C) I have very great problems to identify the actually manufacturer.
If this laser units comes from
http://www.kyoshin.hk/eng/index.php
or
http://threesixtyltd.en.ec21.com/Kss...7_3583045.html
the quality is right, but I cannot identify also this brands, because the logo is not present.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 25th April 2010 at 10:15 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!