What would be better: buying a cd player or building one with a transport?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Bricolo,

I believe that at the lower end of the price spectrum, it would cost more to build a cd player than buy one of similiar quality.

That said, I would buy a used Marantz CD63/67 and mod the heck out of it. This is what I have done and am happy with the results. You learn a great deal as well.

Good luck.

KevinLee
:)

KevinLee said:
Hello Bricolo,

I believe that at the lower end of the price spectrum, it would cost more to build a cd player than buy one of similiar quality.

That said, I would buy a used Marantz CD63/67 and mod the heck out of it. This is what I have done and am happy with the results. You learn a great deal as well.

Good luck.

KevinLee
:)

CD6000: 400€ min

CDM12: 150€, PSU: less than 100€, DAC: less than 50€ (with a TDA1543). the chassis is not a problem

on ebay france, there is no hifi cd player :(, maybe 2 or 3 per year
on ebay germany (I live near germany), there are many more, but for a CD63/67, you have to pay 100€ minimum, plus shipping

and I've found a second hand CD6000 (not OSE or KI) for 170€, maybe this one is a good deal

Pioneer Stable Platter

I've been wondering for a time what would be the best digital sound source to. I say digital sound source because I've MD and an LD, which can all be connected to the same DAC.

For CD's I think I would buy a Stable Platter from Pioneer. In the Netherlands you find them for 100 euros or less. Building a good DAC with it could do liitle wonders for not much money.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the transport, but I believe it's a pretty good thing.

http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/page25.html

the
cdm12 is 150€
the cd pro2 500 I think

i think it will be less for you. Shipping in europe is never 100€.

CD Pro 2 is no bad choice, ask Nico about price delivered to you.

Else as far as i know both transport are at the top end of prices of CD transports. A very expensive part of CDP is the enclosure, if professionally made.

Bricolo said:

the cdm12 is 150€
the cd pro2 500 I think

CD-PRO is a lttle bit cheaper for me because i don't have to pay 100Euro shipping: I live nearby.

It is a big difference in price. But is it worth the difference. I read in another thread that they use similar electronics and the only big difference is that the CD-PRO is made of metal.

Jan

Jan,

I do not understand your question. I did not mention CD-Pro2 or Stein CDM12 in my post. To answer your question, No I would not consider either of these at the lower end of the price spectrum.

What I did say was that at a given price point (the price of a CD6000OSE) you would be better off buying a used CD63/67 and modding it.

If you can build a cd player as good or better than a CD6000OSE for the same price, please show us your parts list.

Maybe everyone will start to build their own player!

Case aside, I would be curious what Peter Daniel spent on his CD player.

KevinLee:)

- you don´t need additional DAC, only a short piece of cable and 2 chinch.

- The powers supply is really cheap. 20€ or so.

- I used mine for a while without real box. Works too.

- Look whats the real prive with all parts for the CDM12 incl shipping etc. and compare prices.

i prefer the CD Pro2 because of the metal frame. Much more solid unit.

till said:
- you don´t need additional DAC, only a short piece of cable and 2 chinch.

- The powers supply is really cheap. 20€ or so.

- I used mine for a while without real box. Works too.

- Look whats the real prive with all parts for the CDM12 incl shipping etc. and compare prices.

i prefer the CD Pro2 because of the metal frame. Much more solid unit.

just compare:

the cd pro2 is 400€, without shipping
the cdm12 is 150€ (165 with remote), and has a power supply!

If I wasn't a student, I'd also rather buy the cd pro2, but...

PS: a strange thing:
http://www.steinmusic.de/indexeng.htm

thay tell the cd pro2 is used on theyr cdx3 cd player, but this player is a top loader!

If you can build a cd player as good or better than a CD6000OSE for the same price, please show us your parts list.

I belive this is difficult to compare. An old CDP may have a laser diode that is used large amount of time. Diode gets not better with time like red wine does.... BLER of such an old and weak laser must be much worse than of a new unit.

Else, what makes the high price is the mechanical parts of enclosure. But enclosure is not so important for sound quality. (religios audiophile fanatics please don´t read this!).

The only important thing for sound at CD PRO is PS, and unless your opinion is a CDP needs PS with a 1kVA toroid transformer it will be hard work to waste much more than 20 or 30€.

KevinLee said:
Jan,

I do not understand your question. I did not mention CD-Pro2 or Stein CDM12 in my post. To answer your question, No I would not consider either of these at the lower end of the price spectrum.

What I did say was that at a given price point (the price of a CD6000OSE) you would be better off buying a used CD63/67 and modding it.

Maybe everyone will start to build their own player!

Case aside, I would be curious what Peter Daniel spent on his CD player.

KevinLee:)

Kevin
I know you didn't mention them but the title said: buying or building one. As far as I know The CD-Pro and the CDM 12 are the only diy packages available at the moment so I was just curious at your opinion on this matter. But maybe I misunderstood.
Anyway a CDM 12 with a good non oversampling dac doesn't have to be that expensive. Or am I wrong?

Jan

do you think this PS is a prob for you?

http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/page28.html

else i´m student too, and in addition i have to earn my money by myself. I start planning on such a projekt month before i buy the parts. It doesn´t get better if you think you have to order stuff the same day you got the idea "hey, great stuff, i want this".

So i have enough time to plan and to work and earn the money. Does it matter if you need 2 month more?

My horn speaker project will need about one year....

till said:
do you think this PS is a prob for you?

http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/page28.html

else i´m student too, and in addition i have to earn my money by myself. I start planning on such a projekt month before i buy the parts. It doesn´t get better if you think you have to order stuff the same day you got the idea "hey, great stuff, i want this".

So i have enough time to plan and to work and earn the money. Does it matter if you need 2 month more?

My horn speaker project will need about one year....

I just don't want to spend 400€ for just the transport, period.
First, it's too expensive for me, second: I'm new here, in diyaudio, in audiophiles... I won't certainly hear the difference. The audio system I'm building for the momment will be my first good quality one

even with this simple ps, the cd pro2 is still 200€ more expensive

Re: Pioneer Stable Platter

ErikdeBest said:
I've been wondering for a time what would be the best digital sound source to. I say digital sound source because I've MD and an LD, which can all be connected to the same DAC.

For CD's I think I would buy a Stable Platter from Pioneer. In the Netherlands you find them for 100 euros or less. Building a good DAC with it could do liitle wonders for not much money.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the transport, but I believe it's a pretty good thing.

is the pioneer a good transport? better than the philips?

tnt audio seems sceptic
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/pioneer507_e.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.