Multiple output soundcard as crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could a sound card with multiple outputs do double duty as a crossover? For example, if it has four outputs, use one for left channel Bass, one for left channel Treble, one for right channel Bass, and one for right channel Treble. The crossover frequency and sloping would be done inside the computer. Then the outputs could go directly into the power amplifiers for bi-amping of speakers. Doable?

Thanks!

Christopher Witmer

Thanks, Yuval. This "Soundeasy" program might just be what I'm looking for. Can this program work in conjunction with programs like WinAmp, Windows Media Player, etc., or is the crossover function only enabled when sounds are generated by the Soundeasy program itself? Will it work when sound is being input from external sources?

THANKS!

But ....

Getting all the OP/s in sync might be a problem with standard sound cards (caching etc) - worth watching out for this. Should be enough CPU cycles to do it real time, with a decent box (depending on algorithm), - as an alternative the processing could be done 'offline' and saved to disk. Possible ? yes !!

Keep us posted if you make any progress ...

Dave

Since I will soon have the equipment to do so, it will be interesting to do a compare of analog and digital (i.e., PC software) crossovers. I will have an old (pre-1980) but very well made and maintained analog active three-way crossover coming, and I have also got a LynxTwo-B card (two inputs and six outputs) so it should be possible to do some comparisons -- after I move up what I expect to be (for me, at least) a fairly steep learning curve. I have found online another person in Tokyo who is trying to do the same sort of thing, except two-way (bi-amping), and he is further along in his research than I am, so hopefully I can leapfrog off his back and get some meaningful results. I will keep folks here posted!

This diyAudio.com forum has been a great help, and so have several Yahoo! Groups, including: hifi_dsp, LynxONE, PAMS, SoundEasyuserslist, and TacTAudioUsersGroup .

I looked into this about a year ago, and was planning to do a project. I was planning to use software from National Instruments (Components under the Visual Studio Integration Program for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET and although quite costly to purchase at $1500 or so has no royalty for redistribution) which does the mathematical stuff.

Then there was a change in the Windows Media Player audio path, and I did not have access to programmers skilled in DirectX programming.

The project is definitely achievable, and there should be more than enough cycles to do this right.

Petter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.