Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Tamago is offline Tamago  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Question So who wants a CD transport?

Hello,
I am new to this forum but I know this forum from lurking. I know that CD transports are a contentious issue sometimes and some of you are stripping them out of boomboxes. I also don't believe in using PC CD-ROM drives, I've been down that road myself before, and with SATA becoming more common, it gets harder to do.

I want to design a CD transport for the applications you folks would like to use it for, offering a completely open and easily reproducible platform using components that I will do my best to ensure are available for years.

The Toshiba TC94A29 looks like a good bet, the circuitry around it is nice and simple, and teaming it with an external micro, we can do stuff like CD-TEXT and all that on a nice VFD graphics display.

At the moment I am trying to secure information from Toshiba about this part, they are proving to be a little stubborn. The part has a micro on board, which I will simply program to provide a simple SPI interface so you folks can go wild and do whatever you like But the devil is I will need to get the full details of the processor inside the chip as well as the assembler/compiler for it. The software is the easy part, getting the stuff out of Toshiba appears to be much harder.

If I can get the devtools and technical data from Toshiba, would you be interested in a totally opensource CD transport? One that can be built from parts and not be hard to get hold of in some countries? Of course many people are not up to working with fine pitch SMT components so I can provide pre-assembled PC boards.

Let me know what you think please
Old 21st January 2010, 04:23 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm always curious, built a variant of the Shigaclone a couple of years ago not using the standard board set most people used. This might make a good future project when I've finished my current crop - hopefully there is some interest here.

What mechanism are you considering as the basis for this design?
Old 25th January 2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Tamago is offline Tamago  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Transport? Well that all depends on what is available and cheap.

Currently I can get the boombox transports i.e. the cd clip design. I can get them in volume with what appears to be a clone Sony KSS 2xxx series pick-up. I can get other transports too, the thing is I will of course design it to fit a multitude of different transports. Tray mechanisms are quite simple, but will require an extra driver to control the tray motor, which is not a problem.

The processor I intend to use, I currently have the local distributor putting pressure on Toshiba to service my needs, so I will have an answer soon.

Unlike CD player kits, this one will be fully customizable, I am looking at even including XMP1.0 for the remote control, which means you can purchase a UEI remote for it from a dealer.

The design will consist of four ICs in total, the processor can either be fitted on the board, or those of you who wish to drive it with a PICMicro or whatever, can do so. I will leave that up to the individual's imagination.

It will consist basically of one IC to do the signal processing from the pick-up, the TC94A29 doing all the work, a BTL bridge driver IC, and then a general-purpose Freescale micro to control the show. The TC94A29 has a micro in it, but it is hopelessly too thin to do anything serious, as it was intended for cheap and nasty CD players with two-digit displays. To process the CD-TEXT info requires a smidgin more processing power.
Old 12th March 2010, 10:57 PM   #4
radar is offline radar  Australia
diyAudio Member

Consider a CEC TL51X.
I don't have the wherewithall to build my own so
I have just bought one and it sounds superb "out of the box".
Does anyone know Where I could get a Service Manual for same?

radar.
Old 13th March 2010, 12:16 PM   #5
RIP

I've been hacking on older Sony and Philips players, looking for the holy grail of transports. It's amazing how different they can sound.
I would definitely be interested, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Best, Bill
Old 13th March 2010, 12:26 PM   #6
audi0 is offline audi0  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

A top loader would be good, drawers don't do much for me
Old 25th March 2010, 12:43 AM   #7
DrRick is offline DrRick  United States
diyAudio Member

I would be VERY interested in this project!

Please let us know how you are doing on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th April 2010, 01:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to binspaul
Any updates ?
Old 1st May 2010, 11:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

This project will probably hit a snag because a CD player uses licensed technology covered by patents. Consequently you're likely to be hit by non disclosure agreements and what have you... so you'll be liable to legal action.

Why not join my quest in reverse engineering the control mechanism - when you will be patent free! I think it's reasonably plausible though I've no experience with driving HE motors.
Old 3rd May 2010, 01:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to binspaul
Post Teac cd-5020a

Hi,

Please have a look at the TEAC drive: (CD-5020A). I think this can be really helpful.

Best regards,
Bins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelveeyedfish View Post
This project will probably hit a snag because a CD player uses licensed technology covered by patents. Consequently you're likely to be hit by non disclosure agreements and what have you... so you'll be liable to legal action.

Why not join my quest in reverse engineering the control mechanism - when you will be patent free! I think it's reasonably plausible though I've no experience with driving HE motors.

Hide this!Advertise here!