Adcom GCD 600 D/A converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
My Adcom GCD 600 is starting to skip and displays static during replay.
The level of static increases the longer it plays. I took it to a repair shop,
they told me the D to A converter is defective and no longer available.
Does anyone know of a source where this item can be obtained? Any help appreciated.
Thanks!

Sounds like the service person knew next to nothing about cd players. You describe classic symptoms of the platter motor developing carbon build-up inside. I can't recall the GCD600 internals off the top of my head, but in the majority of cases, the motor(assuming it's the usual sort of brush motor(Mabuchi, usually), is to give a good solid squirt of silicone spray lubricant into the openings in the bottom of the motor & then run it a while. Cures them at least 80% of the time. Worst case is replacing the motor, which is neither difficult nor expensive(either 'diy' or an honest & experienced tech).

Oh, if it has static in only one channel, that is a separate issue from the skipping(which may or may not be caused by the platter motor, and might be a laser guide rail lubrication issue or other mechanical issue), and does actually suggest that the TDA1541 dac chip may be going south. I can remember one incidence of seeing this happen with a TDA1541, so I know it to be possible. These chips are easily found on ebay for not too much money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.