Bringing the best out of Sony 227 - nos mod?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on the 227ESD with single 1541 chip. I have replaced the JRC opamp with LM4562 to good results. Now I am considering some caps upgrade (suggestions welcomed, I am new here) as well as the more challenging NOS mod detailed here:

sony227ESD

Wondering if any member has successfully NOSed the 227 and if you can share the results. It appears noise is introduced when changing tracks but does the sonic improvement benefits outweighs this cons?

Also I would appreciate all upgrade option inputs :)

Hello!
I have applied this mod yesterday and what can I say - this is the best mod I have ever heard. The player sounds amazing !!! Unfortunately - there are noises when it is stopped (couls be really annoying)
I strongly recommentd this mod - it is quite simple and result is impresive !
Regards

I'm following Mr.Lampizator DIY for Sony CDP-227ESD , the lampizator mod was awesome , i couldn't think of such huge improvements , but after NOS mod here is the strange problem:
maybe echo or distortion or some kind of delay between Right & Left channel !!
it's like there is a back vocal in right channel , or maybe i'm hearing the right channel 0.1 second later than left channel or something like that , or like there is another lead guitar in right channel playing harmonic guitar with left channel
Any idea plz ?
" The problem started after NOS mod "

the only thing which was missing in the DIY is that , for single TDA1541 where should we connect the +5 Volts for 74HC164
so i soldered +5 volts directly to the 7805 +5 volts pin. (the one near TDA1541 )

more info:
according to lampizator DIY , it's for TDA1541A
but my player has TDA1541

and here is pinout according to datasheet:

in TDA1541A , pin 4 is : DATA R "data Right channel input"
in TDA1541 , pin 4 is : DATA R/SYS "data right channel input / System clock input"

maybe that's the problem.
TDA1541 :
"With input OB/TWC connected to ground, data input (offset binary format) must be in time multiplexed mode. It is
accompanied with a word select (WS) and a bit clock input (BCK) signal. A separate system clock input (SCK) is provided
for accurate, jitter-free timing of the analogue outputs AOL and AOR.
With OB/TWC connected to VDD the mode is the same but data format must be in two’s complement.
When input OB/TWC is connected to (VDD1) the two channels of data (L/R) are input simultaneously via (DATA L) and
(DATA R), accompanied with BCK and a latch-enable input (LE). With this mode selected the data must be in offset binary.
"

TDA1541A
"With the input OB/TWC connected to ground, data input (offset binary format) must be in time multiplexed mode. It is
accompanied with a word select (WS) and a bit clock input (BCK) signal. The converted samples appear at the output,
at the first positive going transition of the bit clock signal after a negative going transition of the word select signal.
With OB/TWC connected to VDD the mode is the same but the data format must be in the two’s complement.
When input OB/TWC input is connected to VDD1 the two channels of data (L/R) are input simultaneously via DATA L and
DATA R, accompanied with BCK and a latch-enable input (LE). With this mode selected the data must be in offset binary.
The converted samples appear at the output at the positive going transition of the latch enable signal.
"

hi Bob, congratulation with your NOSed 227, mine is 950, also following Lukas methods & also now tubed out. I solved pause-stop noise problems with a relay, but skip noises remains, not a big deal for me hehe.
One more thing, I've spent months with 74HC164 supply left un-bypassed just because it is not mentioned by Lukas, now with 10uF/16V oscon sounds better

regards
TeguhPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.