Tube output on SACD player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

For some reason this post did not appear when submitted so here goes again:

First let me draw out my situation:
I will be getting a meng yue tube amp soon. I'd like to play SACDs on it.
I already have a Sony 555ES SACD player, which is pretty brilliant I think. But since it's already hooked up to my main system, I first like to do some experimenting on other players before I take this one out of my system.

So, since I am a complete novice (and hence I don't want to ruin a perfectly good SACD player), I would like to get my hands on a cheap-ish SACD player, potentially a multi format player.
I have currently got my eye on 2 options: An Oppo DV-980H (which got excellent reviews, especially on SACD playback, but is still a budget multi format player, so not exactly hi-end), and a 2nd hand Sony S9000ES (like the Oppo, also a multi format player, but very hi-end, and probably sonically comparable to my 555ES).

Question 1) Which one would be a better choice: the Oppo or the Sony? The Sony is quite old now (8-10 years I guess), so it might be outperformed by the Oppo's much newer processing?
Question 2)Which model would be better/easier to mod to get a sound that exceeds my 555ES?
Question 3) How would I mod them (I'd like to use tube technology, e.g. a tube output stage)

Cheers!
K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.