SACD ? -- huh ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 2 cents; I have some 400 sacd's, all classical. I can tell you that only DSD recorded sacd's are really better than redbook/vinyl. Hirez-PCM recorded sacd's are nice too but very good cd's can sometimes be at par.
Recordings older than 2000 are most likely no DSD. Please pay attention on recording information in booklet.
Recordings tranfered from 70's 80's 90's digital recordings; don't bother. DSD-remasterd analog recordings are very nice too but not very old recording; they can be done on a good redbook.
Try listening to dsd-recorded Pentatone/Channelclassics/Linn/Telarc.(and many more!)
See; SA-CD.net - Labels for more labels. Watch the DSD-logo behind record-name. Read reviews, as sacd's can be as bad as any other medium
I find sacd's only really better on limited(or not at all)mixed recordings. So as with every product you buy; it differs very much, but the best dsd-sacd's are better than any of the best other medium (for home-use that is.)
And the other bottleneck is your setup! (old vs new; expensive vs cheap blahblah)
Hope I make some sense here....

Not exactly. There is a very audible difference between the SACD layers and the Red Book layers on Living Stereo releases, and the SACD layers are much superior. I know for a fact that the CD layers were done in the same studio (Sound Mirror) with almost the same equipments/method (I actually saw the master tapes, the reel-to-reel machine, and even the Siltech cables they used) with the exception of ADCs. So the difference was mostly a result of the differences in encoding methods. When the source material is good, a modern day DSD transfer will be able to reveal all the glories that a 44.1/16 PCM transfer can not.

Maybe but consider this; I have some sacd's and cd's of the same recording (released on the same time!) The sacd's cd-layer sound less than the cd!! Same recording!! (and good labels too! BIS for example)
But you might be right; dsd-tranfer from old analog recordings can be very nice; but they are still what the are; old recordings. Very very good for its time. (I have some too; Ravel's Daphne and Cloe, Bolero, Lanza, Heifetz and some more)

Maybe but consider this; I have some sacd's and cd's of the same recording (released on the same time!) The sacd's cd-layer sound less than the cd!! Same recording!! (and good labels too! BIS for example)
But you might be right; dsd-tranfer from old analog recordings can be very nice; but they are still what the are; old recordings. Very very good for its time. (I have some too; Ravel's Daphne and Cloe, Bolero, Lanza, Heifetz and some more)

Wow, that's trouble-some. I always have respect for BIS. I know that Norah Jone's SACD was transferred from the same 44.4/16 master tape that her CD was made from (therefore the SACD layer is actually inferior to that of CD due to the extra process), but I doubt that BIS shares the same shady practice.

Yes, old recordings are not comparable to the most recent ones, though I have to say that the Living Stereo ones were as miraculous as it could be.

I meant ; the living stereo/old recording comment is the only comment on my post? You agree with the rest?

Yeah. I mean, with any form of media, there are always the good, the bad, and the ugly. My disagreement was that many DSD-transferred old recordings are worth the investment, and in fact many well-recorded old recordings can only be fully appreciated sonically on a SACD.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some of the very best sounding SACDs I own are reissues of early stereo analog recordings from the RCA Living Stereo Classical library, oddly some of the worst are ones from Mercury Living Presence which is very strange because the LP reissues are very good. (I guess they were not well remastered for SACD release - or horrors they were taken from 16 bit PCM remasters, not direct to DSD.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.