DIY Blu-Ray (Bluray) DVD drive based on a computer CDROM - Who are these guys?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To make a DIY CD drive based on a computer CDROM I have found this:
DIYZONE - DZ CD-ROM±±¨î¾¹ V 2.0±j¶Õµn³õ¡I
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/17910-diy-cd-drive-based-computer-cdrom.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap...m-controller-kit.html?perpage=25&pagenumber=4

But what about DVD resp blu ray (bluray Blue Ray) in top class version? Concerning this I haven't found any informations.

Plextor could be a good source for this -
Welcome to Plextor

I have heard, that McIntosh MVP-881 (MVP881) and Denon A1UD uses computer based transport, but in a very special tweaked version. But I don't know exactly.
McIntosh | MVP881
McIntosh MVP881 & MEN220 - AudioAficionado.org
Denon USA | DVD-A1UDCI

Perhaps some members from China are already working intensively in this regard to offering the appropriate kits as soon as possible

Last edited:
this transport could be such a thing

Attachments

• Denon-DBP-4010UD transport.jpg
    Denon-DBP-4010UD transport.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 385
I don't think there would be any advantage in using a BD-ROM drive, other than that gullible people might think it was better and therefore pay more. I've tested CD and DVD extraction with over a dozen different drives (CD, DVD and BD/HDDVD). On scuffed or scratched problem discs, an LG GGC-H20L BD/HDDVD combo drive wasn't as good as a much cheaper LG GSA-H10N CDRW/DVDRW drive. A Plextor CDRW didn't appear to be very "special", either.

Last edited:
in the meantime I think also, that it is nonsense to make efforts for a diy blu-ray transport, mainly because of the extremely low prices of finished industry devices. Additional there are no blu ray transport mechanism on the marked, that are comparable to the old and good known cd transport mechanism in a very heavy design like JVC's "EXU-901a" about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ch-ct-1-ct1-better-than-vam1254-cdpro2lf.html

But now rises up an other question:
which from today's the blu ray player devices do have the same high reliability and life time than the old and cheap cd players from JVC, Technics and Pioneer?

In retrospect I can say, that the most cheap cd player models from this mentioned brands (manufactured between 1986 and 1992) still work fine, even if they were used very intensively since that time until now (in contrast to all CD players with SONY KSS laser units inside). And if a repair service necessary, this work is limited only to simple tasks like cleaning and re-capping. Thus no custom made devices (like KSS-272A) must be order.

I asume, there are also certainly brands and models of DVD and Blu Ray players, where reliability and life time is also exceptional, but I don't have any experiences regard this question. But from hearsay I know, that the most devices are susceptible with mostly very short life time, independend of the purchase price. Which models and brands here are to prefer (test reports don't help in this matter) ??

Or the other way around asking - what type of laser units (optical pick ups) resp. mechanism should not be inside ?

Thank you for your advices.

If exist already a thread to this topic here on diyaudio, please let me know the URL.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.