Help with a Rotel 855 Cd player mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine is modding an old Rotel 855 CD player (to make good use of its 1541A dac) for me and He's changing all the caps. There is only one 1.5uf bipolar electrolytic to substitute, but it's very hard to find. Is this value changable? Could I use a 2.2uf or a 1uf cap? Does anybody know? Thanks for your help in advance.

Wholesale replacement of all capacitors doesn't strike me as a smart thing to do in general.

Actually, I've always been an advocate for this. It's usually the first thing I'll do when I get an older (10 years or more) piece of gear, be it a CD player or amplifier. Anyway, to each his own.

A 1.5uF is hard to get hold of, and in my experience a defective capacitor in this position can cause issues. 1uF is fine, I have used this value for this capacitor many times without a problem.

A 1.5uF is hard to get hold of, and in my experience a defective capacitor in this position can cause issues. 1uF is fine, I have used this value for this capacitor many times without a problem.

The capacitor was evidently untested so how do you know it is defective? Reducing the value reduces the effectiveness of the snubber. If the designers thought 1uF was enough, they would have used 1uF. This change is ill advised.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Must admit I believe in replacing old caps... and replaced ALL electroylitics in my Micromega Stage 2.
However an unwritten rule of mine... any work I do must look original... no make do or fitting oversized parts etc.

As to the 1.5uf cap... well Philips often used "odd" values, never more so than in TV's and Video gear. Things like a 221000 ohm 0.1% resistor that's in series with a 100k cheapo pot. Tolerance on electros is wide anyway... I wouldn't worry over fitting a 2.2 for a 1.5... and if it's across a motor... well the characteristics of that 15 years down the line will be very different to when it was new (brush and commutator noise)

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.