Does anyone have experience of replacing a laser?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I have a Marantz CD63 (the original 1983 top-loading wind-up version) that can't read a TOC even after having its lens cleaned. Amazingly, I have a replacement laser assembly and digital chipset. I have some generic guidelines on laser replacement, and it doesn't look impossible, but it won't be a trivial job.

Does anyone have direct experience of this job? I would quite like to see this machine working again, even if it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as a CD63mkII (and it doesn't, I've heard them side by side).

Joined 2003
Paid Member
First possibility:
Clock-signal at pin 22 of demodulator is 6MHz, should be 4,35Mhz, pin 18 is then 9V, should be 5V. C2501 (22nF) is short circuit, which makes pin 16 to positive.
You will need a frequenciecounter.

The eye pattern is measurable at pin 7 of the same IC.

Second possibility:
IC 6504 is broken; data is at pin 2, 3, 11 and 12 should be 5Vpp instead of 1Vpp.

Third possibility:
Replace the laser. :devilr:

I have no service manual; IC6504 probably is the demodulator; as a result the first possibility should apply to that IC.

/Hugo – maybe someone digs up a schematic for you. :nod:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I all measures well, it could of course be the laser.
If it's a VAM1201 you can easily replace the whole unit.
It's utterly cheap, and easy to do.

/Hugo

Attachments

• vam1201.gif
    vam1201.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 676
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Apparently, it degraded gradually...

It's a long while since I took the covers off this machine (and I haven't yet had the opportunity), but the mechanics are considerably more agricultural than your image. As I remember, it's all die-cast aluminium, and very substantial. This is the first CD player...

CD63 service manual

If you visit this link in a while, the manual will be there for download - it's about 9Mb.

http://www.alw.audio.dsl.pipex.com/Downloads/CD43_53_63_Service_Manual.pdf

Hope it helps - changing the mech is a trivial task, only takes a few minutes, but take care not to damage the flexible PCB interconnects and remember to take ESD precautions!

Andy.

P.S. the original mech was a CDM12.1, but the replacements are usually VAM1201.

When fitting the latter the disc clamp HAS to be replaced with one of the two supplied (1 for tray-loader, 1 for multichanger).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Difficult eh, when everybody is speaking of something else ;)

I think you better have someone experienced changing that laser assembly. Don't know this particular Marantz but I guess it has CDM0 or CDM1 swingarm mechanics. CDM12 or the VAM are not applicable to this cdplayer ( thank God for that ).

Replacing the laser is difficult, replacing the whole mechanics is not hard. You also have to check eye pattern etc. on a scope and adjust potentiometers when necessary. If you decide to do it yourself please be aware that these lasers are very sensitive to static electricity. Leave the paperclip on the flex-PCB till it's built in the cdplayer and ground/earth yourself.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Jean-Paul,

it's almost certainly an CDM0! Having read the generic guide, I knew that eye pattern would need to be optimised, and that the whole thing wouldn't be trivial. I was rather hoping that someone would come along and say, "the manuals tell you this, but the cheating way is to do this." I know that the laser current for IR output is critical, and I was rather hoping that someone might have a cheap and cheerful way of setting it. What with one thing and another, this doesn't look too hopeful. And yes, the packaging for the laser assembly is covered in antistatic warnings.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You have a new CDM0 ??? Where did you find it, maybe they have new CDM1's as well ;) Not sure what you mean but maybe the following can help ?

Just open the box and note where the screws belong. Probably there are 4 different lenghts as usual with Philips like cdplayers. Be sure to use only Torx screwdrivers, buy a set if necessary.
Then continue till you're at the mechanics. Remove all cables and if you're unsure or if some have the same connectors ( I've seen it ) please write down what you see.

Then pull the mechanics in a gentle way. Use a ground strap and put the mechanics on a soft cloth. Now unscrew the Torx screws of the laser and remove it. Take the new one and put it there. Be careful, there is a small metal ball that's used as a bearing in there that can fall on the floor and keep you busy for hours. When you use a cloth underneath it the ball can not go too far ;) Note that I am speaking out of experience with CDM1. I don't know CDM0 well. Don't touch the connector of the laser.

Maybe it's a good idea to cover the pile of components with a cloth to prevent dust coming in and to continue a day later. Don't hurry anyhow.Take the time necessary to do the job right.

Now screw in the new laser and do the mechanical alignment procedure as described in Philips/Marantz service manuals. ( can send you one of CDM1 ). Important thing is that the swingarm runs very freely. Although there is a mechanical alignment procedure that should be followed I never bothered to do it like that. I just put the new laser in and screw the Torx screws empirically, after some lasers you get the feeling. Remount everything in the reverse way as described above.

The hard part comes now: how to adjust the thing ? I think advising you to use CDM1 settings is unwise so I hope someone on this forum ( Mr Feedback ? ) can tell you the proper settings for CDM0. In most cases you can power the cdplayer and it'll run. But it is much better to adjust so that the new laser will be used optimal. I can only advise you to search for the manual or the one of a cdplayer that's comparable ( i.e. Philips CD100, not CD101 ).

Remember that the laser should be replaced anyhow so when the new one is in you're halfway there.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Gentlemen, please stop salivating.

Jean-Paul,

I'm guessing that it's a CDM0 on the grounds that this was the first CD player. In a desperate effort to reduce confusion, I've taken a photo of what I have. If this looks as though it would be covered by your service manual, I would be very grateful for the loan.

Attachments

• cd63.jpg
    cd63.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 543
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Mmm, beauty ! Please take off the plasic box and the other stuff, it'll scratch the cdplayer :D

That one has a CDM0 or a CDM1. In the case of the Philips equivalents the CD100 has CDM0 and the CD101 has CDM1. Now which of the 2 is the straight equivalent of Marantz CD63 ?

If the thing on the right is the laser than I am sure that the cdplayer has CDM0. Then have it done at a Philips/Marantz servicecenter. More mechanical alignments than I described before I just found out.

Especially because lasers for early CDM's are very very scarce !
If you let Philips/Marantz do it you'll be sure that it will be done right ( well, they should know ). I think that finding another new laser will be practically impossible.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
No!! :bawling:
Only some info. I do have the manual for the CD202, CD1202, FD2020 but it might not be useful for the CD100.
I better not make mistakes in posting info, the confusion is already great in this thread, so I want to make sure this board is the right one.

/Hugo – hearing jean-paul whispering: please, please get me a copy…;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
EC8010 said:
It is pretty, isn't it? It has a few scratches and dents from going in and out of the dustbin, though!

If I can find a service centre, I will ask about repair, but I suspect that such a request will be met with guffaws of laughter.

She's pretty indeed. I don't think they will laugh, I think they'll ask if you want to sell her ;) Note the "she" instead of "it" ....

the confusion is already great in this thread

You're right and I am responsible for that as well. I am eager wanting to help to revalidate this old beauty.

/Hugo – hearing jean-paul whispering: please, please get me a copy…;)

Hugo, please .....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.