Does anyone have experience of replacing a laser? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2003, 09:14 AM   #11
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You have a new CDM0 ??? Where did you find it, maybe they have new CDM1's as well Not sure what you mean but maybe the following can help ?

Just open the box and note where the screws belong. Probably there are 4 different lenghts as usual with Philips like cdplayers. Be sure to use only Torx screwdrivers, buy a set if necessary.
Then continue till you're at the mechanics. Remove all cables and if you're unsure or if some have the same connectors ( I've seen it ) please write down what you see.

Then pull the mechanics in a gentle way. Use a ground strap and put the mechanics on a soft cloth. Now unscrew the Torx screws of the laser and remove it. Take the new one and put it there. Be careful, there is a small metal ball that's used as a bearing in there that can fall on the floor and keep you busy for hours. When you use a cloth underneath it the ball can not go too far Note that I am speaking out of experience with CDM1. I don't know CDM0 well. Don't touch the connector of the laser.

Maybe it's a good idea to cover the pile of components with a cloth to prevent dust coming in and to continue a day later. Don't hurry anyhow.Take the time necessary to do the job right.

Now screw in the new laser and do the mechanical alignment procedure as described in Philips/Marantz service manuals. ( can send you one of CDM1 ). Important thing is that the swingarm runs very freely. Although there is a mechanical alignment procedure that should be followed I never bothered to do it like that. I just put the new laser in and screw the Torx screws empirically, after some lasers you get the feeling. Remount everything in the reverse way as described above.

The hard part comes now: how to adjust the thing ? I think advising you to use CDM1 settings is unwise so I hope someone on this forum ( Mr Feedback ? ) can tell you the proper settings for CDM0. In most cases you can power the cdplayer and it'll run. But it is much better to adjust so that the new laser will be used optimal. I can only advise you to search for the manual or the one of a cdplayer that's comparable ( i.e. Philips CD100, not CD101 ).

Remember that the laser should be replaced anyhow so when the new one is in you're halfway there.
Old 29th May 2003, 09:20 AM   #12
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I must learn to pay attention

Hope it's useful anyway.

Andy.
Old 29th May 2003, 09:39 AM   #13
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

Default Gentlemen, please stop salivating.

Jean-Paul,

I'm guessing that it's a CDM0 on the grounds that this was the first CD player. In a desperate effort to reduce confusion, I've taken a photo of what I have. If this looks as though it would be covered by your service manual, I would be very grateful for the loan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd63.jpg (49.6 KB, 514 views)
Old 29th May 2003, 09:47 AM   #14

Mmm, beauty ! Please take off the plasic box and the other stuff, it'll scratch the cdplayer

That one has a CDM0 or a CDM1. In the case of the Philips equivalents the CD100 has CDM0 and the CD101 has CDM1. Now which of the 2 is the straight equivalent of Marantz CD63 ?

If the thing on the right is the laser than I am sure that the cdplayer has CDM0. Then have it done at a Philips/Marantz servicecenter. More mechanical alignments than I described before I just found out.

Especially because lasers for early CDM's are very very scarce !
If you let Philips/Marantz do it you'll be sure that it will be done right ( well, they should know ). I think that finding another new laser will be practically impossible.
Old 29th May 2003, 10:05 AM   #15
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom

It is pretty, isn't it? It has a few scratches and dents from going in and out of the dustbin, though!

If I can find a service centre, I will ask about repair, but I suspect that such a request will be met with guffaws of laughter.
Old 29th May 2003, 10:14 AM   #16
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul
Mmm, beauty ! Please take off the plasic box and the other stuff, it'll scratch the cdplayer
jean-paul!!

Does this picture look familiar? Don't mind the arrow.

/Hugo
Attached Images
File Type: gif decoder.gif (7.9 KB, 371 views)
Old 29th May 2003, 10:19 AM   #17

You have the manual !
Old 29th May 2003, 10:43 AM   #18

No!!
Only some info. I do have the manual for the CD202, CD1202, FD2020 but it might not be useful for the CD100.
I better not make mistakes in posting info, the confusion is already great in this thread, so I want to make sure this board is the right one.

/Hugo – hearing jean-paul whispering: please, please get me a copy…
Old 29th May 2003, 10:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
It is pretty, isn't it? It has a few scratches and dents from going in and out of the dustbin, though!

If I can find a service centre, I will ask about repair, but I suspect that such a request will be met with guffaws of laughter.
She's pretty indeed. I don't think they will laugh, I think they'll ask if you want to sell her Note the "she" instead of "it" ....

Quote:
the confusion is already great in this thread
You're right and I am responsible for that as well. I am eager wanting to help to revalidate this old beauty.

Quote:
/Hugo – hearing jean-paul whispering: please, please get me a copy…
Hugo, please .....
Old 29th May 2003, 11:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul

Hugo, please .....
I can send you what I have, mail me an address.

/Hugo - Will send it via priority mail, with insurance..

Hide this!Advertise here!