which cd-rom drive for diy cd player ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The best standard CD is still considered to be the SONY SCSI, but of course, not IDE.
Sony or Philips transports seem to be the choice of high end players. Using old CD drives is not without the issue that they are old. Mechanical. Wear and lens gets dirty. CD transports got better servo when DVD came out. So, not sure this is still a valid path. Putting in your own DA, analog and improving the p/s on a generic CD player may be a better project unless you have a specific form-factor you are trying to build.

I've got 8 different IDE drives, wich are all different (from 6x to 52x)

Also i have alot of SCSI But no one has Digital ou connector. (plextor and sanyo)

It's a project still on the ice.

Marc

Hi marc, i've got 2 plextor units (a px 716 and px 755) both have digital spdif out :)
but the speed is amazing , they turn very very fast :eek:
i hope to receive the controler this week and run the test (maybe run quietly with controler ) :D

my cd rom

In general, the older the better. Newer models tend to vibrate or start up with high speed.

I owne that...

complete metal casing and lead!
Laser metal body ....

Incredible quality construction!

Can not wait processing.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 201
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.