Sony. Motor Probem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok i got a free Sony cd player. it is a 5 disc carsol changer model CDP-C505 now when i put a cd in it doesn’t play it at all. so i opened the top :D so i tried it again. now what i can see is that the cd spins like 1/54th of a turn basically not even much. what i am thinking it is, is a cd drive motor or the psu that controls the motor. can any one help or elaborate. Any one got a schematic. I guess i can remove the wires and test to see if there is any power coming to that spot to the motor that will help if there is ill replace the motor. But that is another question where can i get one. the shaft is quit long because it is mounted to the base. Any suggestions ?

Jason,

You need to replace the motor base assy. I believe it costs about $45. You will have to transfer the pickup and traverse motor to the base assy and lubricate the rack and rails. This is assuming that the spindle motor is bad.

Regards,
Jam

Attachments

1.5 KB · Views: 238
The spindle motor comes attached to the base assembly because there are very tight tolerences required for the distance between the disc table and base and if not correctly set up would cause tracking problems.
If you can get a motor you can try it but usually when you pull the disc table off it will not go back on correctly. So get a new base assembly. If you are not able to get one from Sony service, let me know.

Regards,
Jam

Interesting. This is the same CDP I have.

Jam: Is it possible that my CD table is not at the correct height?
It does still skip somewhat easily if I lightly tap the unit, or even from the vibrations of the speakers. The CDP is sitting on a cement pad so I know there's not a great deal of vibration from the speakers in it.

Is it also worth adding a small weight to the pickup to make it stay still when the box is vibrated? I have a nice little copper weight that came off another CDP and I could easily glue it onto my new head...

Thanks

- Duo.s

Duo,

It is unlikely that your disc table is at the wrong height unless you have bumped it. You have probably make some electrical adjustments to the unit, probably the focus gain, tracking gain, focus offset and the PLL frequency. Depending on the age of the unit some or all these adjustments are in the unit.

Regards,
Jam

P.S. I would look at the PLL adjustment first. You will need a frequency counter.

Jason,

See the motor attached to the metal base, this whole piece has to be replaced. The price is about $45 US. I would try to purchase from a Sony repair center near you first.
You have to get to the motor base assy from the bottom of the unit. Remove the bottom cover and you will see a swing assy platform which the motor base assy is attached to. You will have to remove a spring and release the platform and cam assy. You will also have to unsolder the servo board.
Please observe all anti-static precautions.

Regards,
Jam

Normal Fault

I have fixed a million of these series machines.
1) - Disconnect the sub-pcb on the underside of the mech.
2) - With a disc loaded, connect a 9V battery and spin the disc up to speed, and quickly reverse the battery connection, and allow the disc to spin up to speed in the opposite direction.
Repeat this a dozen times and the commutator will be restored - this is a normal fault.
Try it out now.
If no joy, the next likely culprits are the flex cable (try reversing the direction), and the KSS-240 pickup.

Try this and it will likely fix your problem.

Eric.

Duo,

You need a service manual.

Eric,

I have tried what what you suggested but I have only a 50% success rate and the ones that work usually come back in a few months. I have had more success with early Pioneer motors with this method and spraying some contact cleaner inside the motor.

Regards,
Jam

A Child Could Do It...

I suggested 9V battery because it is safer (for the motor).
A 12V supply works better if you are a little careful.
I have not had any returns after doing this.
The trick is to flip polarity really quickly, and allow the motor to spin up to overspeed.
I made a little box with a center off reversing sswitch for this, and has never let me down.
Nobody needs a manual for this one.
The only two other things to fail are the ribbon cable and pickup.
Before adjusting any pots be sure to mark them first.
The PLL should not need touching.
Resolder regulators first (and rca output sockets).

Eric.

Well, I think I'll survive for now. I found an old Genexxa CDP under my bed that fixed up. Funny, I used the motor trick just to get the genexxa working, lol. It sounds good for a Radio Shack CDP, but I can't wait to get something better.

I'm wondering, would it be difficult to use the DAC's out of my CDP-C505 on a CDROM transport?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.