DIGI balanced AES/EBU -> SPDIF Coax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here goes,

First of all, AES /EBU and SPDIF actually use slightly different data format. But, if you are just going from a source into a DAC, that usually doesn't matter, unless the DAC has a bitrate and error-rate display.

I think what you may be asking is:
How to go from balanced 110 ohm 5 volt to unbalanced 75 ohm 0.5 volt.

The answer is to use a transformer. There are various devices about. Depending on how critical you are, you could spend lots on one from Sowter or Schott, or you could use a data pulse transformer from RS or Farnell.
As for the the level difference, I would forget about it. You'll upset more with attenuators than you'll gain with level accuracy. besides, most reciever chips accept both levels.

Now, who's got a better constuctive suggestion?

Hey John

The sources are all in the digital domain and will be kept there so I wont be goin into a DAC...

Looking at FIG1 in this Pic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I can just use a few resistors compared to forking out for a transformer, but I'm just wondering the values of the resistors used in the diagram - is it 2 x 56ohm, 1 x 110ohm and a 220ohm? what are the values in the brackets? :scratch:

Ta...

Dan

PS: Still aint done that PSU yet, that project is on hold atm... will be done tho!!

If you use only resistors, you depend on the source using a transformer as an output device. This is likely, but not certain. The AES strongly recommends makers to use one, but a few don't.

The voltages in brackets are for alternative signal levels.
Please note my earlier post.

I'm just waiting for the "digital police" to catch up with me..:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.