Want to slave a CD Player to your DAC ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One manufacturer has included the clock input for free, just nobody knows it. ;)
Which one ? :D

Do you think about :
- Marantz SA-7S1,
- Marantz SA-11S2,
- Marantz SA-15S2.

Theses SACD player accept 44.1KHz, 88.2KHz or 176.4KHz input clock.
I don't look inside service manual. I hope theses clock works for digital output (S/PDIF) like analog output.

I don't know when I will have the time to test it so maybe someone else wants to try:

Yamaha players CDX-9X0/11X0/5000 and all others that have the YM3613:

YM3613 accepts 5,6448 MHz on pin 6 and then disables the standard xtal input.

The Yamaha then is in sync with the reclocker.

No worry about a player eventually running without a clock.

All that must be done is install a clock inside the DAC, reclock the signals to the DAC chips, divide the clock down to 5,6448 MHz and send it to pin 6 of the Yamaha.

It should not be difficult to make a circuit that disables the clock of any other player on incoming external clocks.

Last edited:
i don't get it....? Transmitter in sync with the DAC and not with it's source. So if the source (the decoder of the cd player it's in) has a clock which is slightly higher, the 3613 will receive too much data. Guess it throws samples away (?). If lower, it needs to transmit a sample twice (does it?). Seems similar to doing this with the CS chips at the DAC end (where you don't need a clock feed to the player and where the behaviour is known).

If you are making the effort of slaving the cd player to the DAC, then just do the whole player. Then all is in sync and you can do this with a lot of players/chipsets.

i don't get it....? Transmitter in sync with the DAC and not with it's source. So if the source (the decoder of the cd player it's in) has a clock which is slightly higher, the 3613 will receive too much data. Guess it throws samples away (?). If lower, it needs to transmit a sample twice (does it?).

How many clocks do you think does the Yamaha exactly have ?

Last edited:
How many clocks do you think does the Yamaha exactly have ?

One for the decoder (or at the filter).

Xtal on the 3613 so it outputs a signal in case there is no incoming clock at pin6 (player not playing. but only if required for the decoder used (?))

One for the microprocessor controlling the thing.
One for what would i know.

Last edited:
Meet the new DDDAC. Same as the old DDDAC.

Yes, only more complicated..

And only if the 3613 has the functionality to throw away samples or send them twice..

The only advantage over using the clock for the whole player is that you avoid having to switch on the dac first (to give the player a clock when it is on and avoiding cd's spinning at warp speed). And you could do something about that "problem" easily

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.