Pioneer CLD-919, disc recognize failure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2009, 03:24 PM   #1
wmincy is offline wmincy  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default Pioneer CLD-919, disc recognize failure

I got a Pioneer CLD-919 Laser Disc Player which stopped reading disc.

I checked for the laser pick-up whether it is defected or not, however I can still notice the red spot and up-and-down of the lens, just like a CD player does when you switch it on. So I might think the laser won't be the cause of the problem. Nevertheless, I saw a LED like component on the pick-up assembly, I might guess its function as to detect the presence of disc.
But I can't see any light (maybe red light), could this LED like component a IR emitter? or this is exactly a LED but in this case burnt or broken?

Is there anyone who can give this an answer, advice? thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIMG0595_.jpg (103.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg RIMG0598_.jpg (90.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 8th December 2009, 07:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The other device is a tilt sensor. This is used only for laserdisc playback, and senses the slight sag of the heavy 12" disc & allows the player to tilt the laser to the precise angle to prevent video crosstalk. I'm afraid you are fairly likely to have a bad laser, although, if it happened suddenly, with no previous symptoms, it could be a platter motor going bad, since this series senses motor drive current & stops play attempt if it sees the startup current on the motor escalating. Is it not playing ANY discs or can it play cd, dvd or laserdisc?

Hide this!Advertise here!