Phllips CDM 12.4 transport compatible replacement

Ive searched around a few forums and lots of googling and I must say, information regarding this CDM 12.4 transport is rare. I have a BAT VK-D5SE that has a failed transport collecting dust for about 3 yrs now and I want to fix it. A quick call the BAT says I need about $500+shipping to repair it. So far, I bought a laser pick up, which appears to be cheap chinese quality and does not work. I remember the tech guy at BAT told me they need to replace and entire mechanism along with the laser pick up, so I thought there must be a compatible drop-in replacement I can buy instead of shelling out $500+. But so far, I have not found any info regarding a drop-in replacement. Do you guys think I really have to send it back in? Such a nice CD player and I miss it, not mention it was uber $$$ spent.

thanks for you input, but i already bought a mechanism and it does not work. I wish to replace the whole transport (tray, servo board, and mechanism/pickup) I am not sure if I am able to do that. I see that the VAM1202 transport looks almost like the CDM12 transport. Any thoughts as to what I can replace it with? I really do not like the CDM12, it has been giving me headaches since I bought the unit.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The CDM12.4 is very under rated and much maligned.
The majority of problems were down to the grease used solidifying and causing skipping etc. An easy fix :)
I wouldn't dream of replacing the whole thing... even if you could get one.
The ones from Dalbani seem outrageously cheap for the genuine article... but if that's what they are I wouldn't hesitate.

Great advice. I have not messed with greasing it and what not. I know of the bad things about the CDM 12 series lasers, which is why I do not want to replace it. I want to purchase one of the newer transports, the VAM/VAL series from phillips. My questions is, is it possible to replace the entire transport with these new models, i.e. plug-n-play? I am not sure of the software and circuits compatibility, which is why Im asking here. Also, the tech guy said he have to replace the entire transport with the servo board, which is why I am assuming they are going to put something similar to the VAM/VAL since the CDM 12 is not made anymore. I dont want to let them eat up my $500 for something that be had for more than half the cost.

The disc is not spinning, but I see the laser move and is lasing. It seems that it cant read the disc and gives me a no disc error 100% of the time. Before this happened, it would sometimes read it and sometimes not. After a few open and close, it would finally read it. I have never had any skipping problems. I had to deal with the opening and closing thing for about 2 years before it gave up. Im looking at the VAM1202 transport (I think thats right) I am so confused with all the numbers. I am not sure if BAT used any custom software though, so it may not even work.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Obviously without seeing it's impossible to say for sure.
When you open and close the tray does the whole laser move (give a little shuffle) along it's sled. Immediately after that the lens should move up and down quickly a few times.

Is all that happening ? I take it you have cleaned the lens ? If you shine a torch on it it should look clean and bright.
You have to make sure it's all OK mechanically first before condeming the pickup.

If it does the above... the shuffle, lens up/down (and that is when the laser will be lit, after that lens movement it will go out with no disc in place) then you might be looking at the pickup.

Also make sure the extra "weight" of a CD isn't stopping the whole loader from fully completing it's loading cycle... belts are favourite for that on the Philips mech.

If it were me I would also (with power off) manually turn the worm gear under the pickup to move it to the outer edge of the disc a little, then power up and open/close and make sure it goes back to the normal rest position.

Mooly, yes it does all that, but the disc does not even spin up now. I tested the motor with batteries and it works fine. It does a quick small shuffle, and then it tries to focus with the laser on. Then it shuts off and gives the no disc error. I moved the laser all the way to the outer edge and turned it on. The laser moves back to the center of the disc. I am still stuck on the question whether I am able to replace the entire transport. I do not want to deal with pickup transplant, etc etc. I just want a new tray, new pickup, all of it. (and a different model of course) It this at all possible?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hope you disconnected the motors before putting batteries across them :) The sled turns with even an AVO :))) on ohms connected across it. The spindle motor similar... very little voltage needed.
If the laser lights... you can see it dull red... yes, then it's looking like the pickup is faulty.
One other thing... is the platter at the correct height... not slipped down the motor shaft. There a blob of epoxy to act as an "end stop"
The disc doesn't spin until focus is found

This might interest you,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...am1254-cdm12pro-vau1254-cdm12-4-compatib.html

I have never come across the whole loader and pickup as a spares item, not even years ago when they were in production.

I see you mention fitting a new pickup and it didn't work. Do you think you may have another problem ?

If you haven't a circuit for it why not pull the data sheets for the main IC's and check supplies etc

For example TDA1302... which is the RF amp on the pickup
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/3/07u65c3ztlyplao955uoc3rslpwy.pdf

Data sheets from,
Datasheet catalog for integrated circuits, diodes, triacs, and other semiconductors, view

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I use these... it doesn't matter whether it's square or round by the way, and the thicker belts never fail again.
Just double check the diameter... this one is 38mm, pretty sure this was the one.
--|BELT78|SQUARE SECTION DRIVE BELTS, BELT | CPC
Click on further information for full listing of "square belts"
Also the spindle for the gears on the tray becomes noisey... little smear of plastics compatable grease works wonders.

Last edited:
I have heard of the VAM (obviously the correct one) as being direct replacements but when it comes to searching for them etc can never find much info/new stock etc ?

What actually is the problem with yours ?

If you have a CDM12.1, you can replace the laserunit (optical pick up) from that one of VAM1202 (also VAM1201 - I think).
You cannot replace in all cases the complete transport unit, because the motor pulley (turntable) from VAM uses an other magnet
The optical pick up from CDM12.4 uses an integrated HF-circuit while that one of CDM12.1 and VAM1202 uses only an integrated three transistor APC unit (APC = automatic power control for the actually laser diode).
I don't know about an aquivalent VAM laser head to that one of CDM12.4.
At botton the schematics for compare
Because high quality CDM12.4 devices are very hard to find I would like to replace the hologram laser itself (10 times succesful tested) but I dont find a serious delivery source - read more about this problems there:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...lt0h30pa-inside-philips-cdm12-vam12-mech.html
unfortunately until this day a monolog.
Please note especially the URLs from cndiyclup (very fine photos of a CDM12 disass'y procedure until the hologram)

Attachments

• C ...-CD-CDM12.1-VAM1202J Plan.ckt .pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 298
  • C ...-CD-CDM12.4.ckt.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 293
  • C ...-CDM-VAM KSS Flexprint.ckt.pdf
    7.7 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
CDM 12.4 12.4/05 SF-CD1 SF-T1

No DISC messages from SFT1 or SF-CD1 or Micromega...

Over the past several years I have collected 2 SF-CD1s and went through numerous laser heads.

Whenever they act up, one will not read anything (NO DISC)
and the other one reads intermittently and absolutely will not read any copied CD-Rs.

A unit with a newly replaced laser will not survive a short road trip to a friend's house... NO DISC upon arrival and it happens everytime.

Yes. It's just Philips CDM12.4, you can find them everywhere on EBay but most of them are "cannibalized parts" sold as new.

The CD1s seem to "chew through laser heads one every few months so I thought. Lately it got so bad I thought its more likely the board underneath the transport that is getting too old to read anything.

Spent the weekend trying to fix my them and after fiddling with just about everything it turns out the lasers are still fine. The heads need manual adj despite all the docs floating around stating otherwise.

Tweaked the alignment of the heads with a torx screwdriver using purely trial and error gets rid of the "no disc" error and the "skipping track" and "not able to read copied CDs" problem. Once roughly aligned you will see the CDs spin again after door closes. Then its a challeneg to get them tweaked till they read CD-Rs and the higher-numbered tracks.

The SF-CD1, unlike Levinson and Wadia, does not have a locking screw to secure the head.

The damn silicon stud mounts give way during transportation and causes the heads to be misaligned. They were probably marginally aligned in the first place or aligned for some other bracket than your particular model.