Phllips CDM 12.4 transport compatible replacement - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2009, 05:15 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Mooly, yes it does all that, but the disc does not even spin up now. I tested the motor with batteries and it works fine. It does a quick small shuffle, and then it tries to focus with the laser on. Then it shuts off and gives the no disc error. I moved the laser all the way to the outer edge and turned it on. The laser moves back to the center of the disc. I am still stuck on the question whether I am able to replace the entire transport. I do not want to deal with pickup transplant, etc etc. I just want a new tray, new pickup, all of it. (and a different model of course) It this at all possible?
Old 10th December 2009, 06:20 AM   #12
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Hope you disconnected the motors before putting batteries across them The sled turns with even an AVO () on ohms connected across it. The spindle motor similar... very little voltage needed.
If the laser lights... you can see it dull red... yes, then it's looking like the pickup is faulty.
One other thing... is the platter at the correct height... not slipped down the motor shaft. There a blob of epoxy to act as an "end stop"
The disc doesn't spin until focus is found

This might interest you,
VAM1204 VAM1205 VAM1206 VAM1250 VAM1252 VAM1254 CDM12pro VAU1254=CDM12.4 compatib

I have never come across the whole loader and pickup as a spares item, not even years ago when they were in production.

I see you mention fitting a new pickup and it didn't work. Do you think you may have another problem ?

If you haven't a circuit for it why not pull the data sheets for the main IC's and check supplies etc

For example TDA1302... which is the RF amp on the pickup
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...uoc3rslpwy.pdf

Data sheets from,
Datasheet catalog for integrated circuits, diodes, triacs, and other semiconductors, view
Old 6th January 2010, 09:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Are you still looking for a transport?

I have a complete CDM 12.4 transport that I was going to use in a DIY CDP, but I'm having problems finding a suitable servo PCB. PM me if you still need one.
Old 8th January 2010, 09:52 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Mooly, have you ever found a good source for the belts in the Micromegas, the door on mine fails to close tight and the belt is like a wizards sleeve.
Old 8th January 2010, 11:38 AM   #15
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I use these... it doesn't matter whether it's square or round by the way, and the thicker belts never fail again.
Just double check the diameter... this one is 38mm, pretty sure this was the one.
--|BELT78|SQUARE SECTION DRIVE BELTS, BELT | CPC
Click on further information for full listing of "square belts"
Also the spindle for the gears on the tray becomes noisey... little smear of plastics compatable grease works wonders.

Last edited by Mooly; 8th January 2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 8th January 2010, 12:50 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Awesome, thanks.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:12 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
I have heard of the VAM (obviously the correct one) as being direct replacements but when it comes to searching for them etc can never find much info/new stock etc ?

What actually is the problem with yours ?
If you have a CDM12.1, you can replace the laserunit (optical pick up) from that one of VAM1202 (also VAM1201 - I think).
You cannot replace in all cases the complete transport unit, because the motor pulley (turntable) from VAM uses an other magnet
The optical pick up from CDM12.4 uses an integrated HF-circuit while that one of CDM12.1 and VAM1202 uses only an integrated three transistor APC unit (APC = automatic power control for the actually laser diode).
I don't know about an aquivalent VAM laser head to that one of CDM12.4.
At botton the schematics for compare
Because high quality CDM12.4 devices are very hard to find I would like to replace the hologram laser itself (10 times succesful tested) but I dont find a serious delivery source - read more about this problems there:
new Brand of Hologram Laser (LDGU) LT0H30PA inside by Philips CDM12 and VAM12 mech
unfortunately until this day a monolog.
Please note especially the URLs from cndiyclup (very fine photos of a CDM12 disass'y procedure until the hologram)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C ...-CD-CDM12.1-VAM1202J Plan.ckt .pdf (20.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: pdf C ...-CD-CDM12.4.ckt.pdf (20.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: pdf C ...-CDM-VAM KSS Flexprint.ckt.pdf (7.7 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 11th January 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12th January 2010, 07:32 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

about the URL (post #8)
new Brand of Hologram Laser (LDGU) LT0H30PA inside by Philips CDM12 and VAM12 mech
now you find interesing informations
Old 25th January 2010, 11:00 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

who can translate this sites
图解CDpro以及CDM12系列激光头中的全息激光管 中国DIY俱乐部
in better quality than this
Google Nachricht

Then we get some interesting informations
Old 27th September 2010, 12:54 AM   #20
phi70 is offline phi70  United States
diyAudio Member

Default CDM 12.4 12.4/05 SF-CD1 SF-T1

No DISC messages from SFT1 or SF-CD1 or Micromega...

Over the past several years I have collected 2 SF-CD1s and went through numerous laser heads.

Whenever they act up, one will not read anything (NO DISC)
and the other one reads intermittently and absolutely will not read any copied CD-Rs.

A unit with a newly replaced laser will not survive a short road trip to a friend's house... NO DISC upon arrival and it happens everytime.

Yes. It's just Philips CDM12.4, you can find them everywhere on EBay but most of them are "cannibalized parts" sold as new.

The CD1s seem to "chew through laser heads one every few months so I thought. Lately it got so bad I thought its more likely the board underneath the transport that is getting too old to read anything.

Spent the weekend trying to fix my them and after fiddling with just about everything it turns out the lasers are still fine. The heads need manual adj despite all the docs floating around stating otherwise.

Tweaked the alignment of the heads with a torx screwdriver using purely trial and error gets rid of the "no disc" error and the "skipping track" and "not able to read copied CDs" problem. Once roughly aligned you will see the CDs spin again after door closes. Then its a challeneg to get them tweaked till they read CD-Rs and the higher-numbered tracks.

The SF-CD1, unlike Levinson and Wadia, does not have a locking screw to secure the head.

The damn silicon stud mounts give way during transportation and causes the heads to be misaligned. They were probably marginally aligned in the first place or aligned for some other bracket than your particular model.

Hide this!Advertise here!