Philips CD473 Disc Error when warm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The player: CD473 - This has been modified - seperate DA board, clock module and a Ben Duncan output stage. This player has never been used much, I transfered all the bits from my old CD473 which had performed great for over 15 years, the only 'new' bit is the clock module - bought off fleebay.

The problem: Plays fine when cold, but after 30 minutes or so it starts playing up - can't read the disc and an 'Err' message comes up. Switch it off for 10 minutes - everything fine again. Unfortunately I did not think to check the player before installing the clock, but that is my suspicion. I am running the clock from a seperate transformer, as are the DA board and the output module, but everything there checks out.

There seems to be conflicting advice on the net about installing clock modules, they all tell you to remove the two capacitors near the crystal, then some say to remove the resistor in parallel, some say leave it in. I left it in, otherwise it would leave a pin on the chip floating. Is this right?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks Andy

that is what I thought - but I have replaced all the electrolytics on the board.

It will be playing fine, then I press stop, replay, error. leave for 10 minutes, fine. It is fine once it starts playing, just when you stop it, it will not read again - would overheating do this?

The problem is infuriating. The player sometimes reads the disc, sometimes does not, sometimes plays, sometimes does not. If it gives an 'err' reading, keep pressing play about 10 times and it works, searches fine, skips tracks fine, then when you stop and press play again, the problem happens again.

The skip beckons.

my experience with this set..... once this error happen... stop(stop play, set still on) the set, open the cover... move(touch) the lens up and down... and it can play for a few disc without problem.... So I thought the problem is something to do with the "spring" force of the focus lens connection (since it is such an old set......) Also see some discussion in the web that CDM 4/11 (CDM2) is less reliable as compare to CDM 4/19...

Have you checked the non electrolytic capacitors? The freezer spray will find any heat related problems like dry joints or component problems. I have previously reheated every solder joint on a board after a visual inspection found no faults and a similar problem went away. It took a long time but it worked. check all the connections and cables the cd laser cables move back and forth all the time maybe it has a fault internally on the cable? Which would explain moving the lens fixing the problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.