Difference between Audiolab 8000CD & CDE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can somebody please help???

I'm after info on the differences between the Audiolab 8000CD & CDE?

It's obviousy components but what components? I'm thinking of saving the £200 and buying the CDE and spending the £200ish savings on mods.

Any ideas?

CDE vs CD

Comparing my Audiolab CDE with the picture of the 8000CD (attached), I have found the following:

The control and Display Board is the same (with a P89C51 microcontroller). The LCD display is different.

The power supply board is the same, however the CDE has only one transformer with more outputs.

The servo and mechanism must be the same (Employing the same high quality dedicated mechanism, ‘lazy’ servo and software as the original 8000CD player, the CDE is both accurate and detailed with astonishing timing and neutrality)

The DAC board is the same. The are some holes without components, because the CDE hasn't the Toslink and BNC coaxial outputs.

I have been trying to find the fault in my control/display board withou success. The microcontroller seems faulty or has lost the flash program.

Best regards

Attachments

• 8000cd-internal.jpg
    8000cd-internal.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 501
Display PCB schematic (unfinished)

This is the display PCB schematic not finished. I imagine the clock signal comes from the servo board. There is a 10-way connector not included. The purpose could be for progamming the flash memory. I don't know if the mechanism uses the DSA protocol.

Attachments

• Audiolab 8000 CD display PCB.JPG
    Audiolab 8000 CD display PCB.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 529
Hi Contax,

Yes, it’s a design issue internal to the Philips 8051 - they can under certain conditions wipe there own internal Memory!!! really useful! So most likely its memory’s been overwritten.

To prevent overwrite; the modification was to replace the series termination resistor inline with the MCU clock input with a 0805 100pF capacitor (or might have been 0603).

If you send me your front panel, I can reprogram it – or do you have an 8051 programmer – I could send you the hex file…

John

Hi Contax,

VAM2202 is the early mech - before the update to the Sony KS313 OPU - I only have the later software to hand - I'll try and dig up ealier software to work with the VAM Mech (If it still even works - most failed long ago). Pls. give me some time.

Audiolab 800CDE

Hi Contax,

Yes, it’s a design issue internal to the Philips 8051 - they can under certain conditions wipe there own internal Memory!!! really useful! So most likely its memory’s been overwritten.

To prevent overwrite; the modification was to replace the series termination resistor inline with the MCU clock input with a 0805 100pF capacitor (or might have been 0603).

If you send me your front panel, I can reprogram it – or do you have an 8051 programmer – I could send you the hex file…

John

Hi John!

I hope you are well

I was reading up on this, as I have an Audiolab 8000CDE!

I have the following system: Audiolab 8000CDE (transport) --> MDAC --> HPA 200 Fidelity Audio Headphone Amplifier --> AKG K702/HD650.

I called Audiolab to ask what they can do with it - they mentioned they can take it in, improve the PSU and upgrade the software for £200 approx.

I also contacted the gentleman who built my headphone amplifier - Brent from Fidelity Audio - great guy- he mentioned that he could also conduct upgrades for the 8000CDE particular to the power supply and servo section. I'm unsure about the clock. However, he has a website which I'm sure you are aware of:

Fidelity Audio : C3 Low Jitter Premium clock Micro clock 2 dual output for squeezeboxes
Fidelity Audio : clock power supplies psu

So I'm unsure how to go about this as I only use the CDE as a transport. I am waiting for the MPAX and or other things to go with the rest of my system but I feel for now the Achilles heal needs to be attended to which is the CDE.

Please do let me know if you can advise in any way - it would be great to hear what you would do here.

Thanks.

Himes

Hi John!

I hope you are well

I was reading up on this, as I have an Audiolab 8000CDE!

I have the following system: Audiolab 8000CDE (transport) --> MDAC --> HPA 200 Fidelity Audio Headphone Amplifier --> AKG K702/HD650.

I called Audiolab to ask what they can do with it - they mentioned they can take it in, improve the PSU and upgrade the software for £200 approx.

I also contacted the gentleman who built my headphone amplifier - Brent from Fidelity Audio - great guy- he mentioned that he could also conduct upgrades for the 8000CDE particular to the power supply and servo section. I'm unsure about the clock. However, he has a website which I'm sure you are aware of:

Fidelity Audio : C3 Low Jitter Premium clock Micro clock 2 dual output for squeezeboxes
Fidelity Audio : clock power supplies psu

So I'm unsure how to go about this as I only use the CDE as a transport. I am waiting for the MPAX and or other things to go with the rest of my system but I feel for now the Achilles heal needs to be attended to which is the CDE.

Please do let me know if you can advise in any way - it would be great to hear what you would do here.

Thanks.

Himes
Hello HimesP,

The Audiolab CDE and the CD share the same power supply PCB. The D/A PCB and the CD mechanism&servo are also the same. The control&display board are different.

The only difference, in the PSU PCB, is the Audiolab CD has 2 trafos, 1 for the digital section and 1 for the analogic section. The Audiolab CDE has 1 trasnformer with 2 secondaries. If you are using the CDE as a transport, my suggestion is you shouldn't waste your money improving the PSU.

Best regards

AUDIOLAB 8000CDE

Hi,;) I´m an AUDIOLAB 8000CDE's owner that it doesn´t work, I think I´ve got the same problem than Conrad and I think that i´m able to program it with the Flash Magic, but I need the Hex file.
Could you help me to get it??? and do I have to do any special to set the Flash Magic??:scratch1: I will use an ISP programmer.
Thank you very much.

best regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.