Cirrus Logic CS4397 DAC KIT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2009, 02:02 AM   #1
acccruz is offline acccruz  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default Cirrus Logic CS4397 DAC KIT

Hi to all members:

Anybody can help me please with this DAC Kit Ive recently buyed at eBay.

After some searchs and readings, I decided to do some mods and now it did not work. No sound and the blue bulb light that indicate its on did not power up :-/

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2173.jpg (64.8 KB, 322 views)
Old 1st December 2009, 03:24 AM   #2
F1 FAN is offline F1 FAN  Canada
diyAudio Member

I would check your voltages especially the 5 volt for the digital as I think it feeds the 3.3 volt regulator which then lights the LED.Did it work correctly before you did the mods?What is the purpose of the white wire between the 8416 and 4397?
Old 1st December 2009, 12:02 PM   #3
acccruz is offline acccruz  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi F1 FAN:

Thanks for your reply.

Someone told in the DIY community: concerning the upsampling frequencies the board does not work as advertised. It works only with 44K!

To put it working at 96KHz simply lift the M4 pin (2) from the PCB and bridge it to the CS8416 96KHz pin (16) with a wire.

I dont know why but now the blue LED lights up but still no sound :-(

I will try to desolder the wire and bridge the PIN 2 to PIN 3, and may do some prides to music Gods in the name of CS4397 life!
Old 1st December 2009, 09:32 PM   #4
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

acccruz -

It looks like you have removed the caps at the outputs of the CS4397 and bridged across them. Why? The opamp that follows is not going to like DC on its inputs, is it?

Last edited by jonners; 1st December 2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 1st December 2009, 09:38 PM   #5
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

I tried to mod one of those. The PCB was so cheap that I pulled up several inches of the trace when I removed those caps.

I'm wouldn't recommended that one for modding. There's a slightly more expensive model that people have been buying that is much more robust.
Old 1st December 2009, 11:55 PM   #6
F1 FAN is offline F1 FAN  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acccruz View Post
Someone told in the DIY community: concerning the upsampling frequencies the board does not work as advertised. It works only with 44K!
acccruz, did you try this unit before you did the mods?If it worked then you may want to double check that you didn't damage a trace or something while modding.
Do you have a link to the mods?If so I would appreciate it as I have one of these boards on order myself and may want to try some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners View Post
acccruz -

It looks like you have removed the caps at the outputs of the CS4397 and bridged across them. Why? The opamp that follows is not going to like DC on its inputs, is it?
I have seen many examples of dual differential DAC's being used without coupling caps preceeding the LPF and op amp..

Hide this!Advertise here!