What do you think about the AMC DAC8 D/A converter? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2003, 11:05 PM   #1
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Question What do you think about the AMC DAC8 D/A converter?

I have a Parasound C/DP-1000 cd player in my system that sounds pretty good, however, I think it could be a little better.

Today on eBay, I bought an AMC DAC8 d/a converter.

Click the image to open in full size.

After further research I have found that the specs are NOT quite as good as those of the Parasound.

I know that you can never completely go by just the specs. You actually have to hear it in your system to get a feel of what has improved, if anything.

So here's my questions....

Do you think this will be an improvement over the built-in d/a converter of the Parasound? Does anyone own either one of these units that can tell me what to expect when I insert the AMC into the chain?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 25th May 2003, 05:47 AM   #2
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I was curious about this too. About one or two years ago I almost bought the DAC, but after some thoughts I canceled the purchase.

AMC is if Iím not mistaken the manufacturer for several NAD products. I imagined a CDP as DAC plus transporter. How much could the transporter price be (plus a bigger power supply)? $150? Supposed your Parasound is $A and the DAC is $B. I believe that $A>>$B+$150. This is why I didnít buy the DAC. Itís just too cheap for a DAC

But the DAC may be a good candidate for DIY effort
Old 25th May 2003, 09:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So what is that supposed to mean, that the AMC DAC8 is not worth the money? Is it not going to improve anything? Do you think that the d/a converter in the Parasound is still better than the AMC?

I already bought it, so I guess all I can do is hook it up when it comes in and see what happens.

Any other input on this matter would be appreciated.
Old 25th May 2003, 10:08 PM   #4
PMiczek is offline PMiczek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ...other input

I believe the AMC DAC8 is about 1995 vintage, and was not meant to compete with audiophile DACs. I have a similar, also old, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, which I believe was compared to the DAC8 at the time, also bought on ebay (for around $100, which is about what I think its worth). It is an improvement on the line out from a couple products which in my personal opinion do not have a very good analog output. It is NOT an improvement on the output of a typical mid-range CDP, or equal to a newer MSB DAC, for example.

When comparing to the output of your player, be careful of the relative level (the volume) of the two line outputs. They may not be the same, even if the specs match. If one is even slightly higher (louder), your ears may trick you into believing it is better.

An outboard DAC is likely to produce a _different_ sound, and you may have to listen to it for a few days to get used to how it sounds before comparing to your player and deciding which you like better. It may not depend on just which D/A converter is better, but on the care taken with the analog output design, the power supply, and the interconnects.

PM
Old 26th May 2003, 02:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hmm, maybe if it doesn't sound that good, I can just use it on my computer that's hooked up to the stereo! I'm sure it sound better than the computer's DAC.
Old 4th June 2003, 04:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I recieved the DAC8 yesterday and installed it. With some close listening, I have to say that the AMC is not as bad as some of you think.

I have since taken the Parasound CD/P-1000 out of my system which actually did not sound as good as my current Panasonic DVD-A120 dvd player. I then hooked up the DAC8 to the fiber optic output of the dvd player and heard a major improvement.

This thing really sings! It reveals a lot more detail and resolution, and it reproduces an incredible 3 dimentional soundstage that I haven't heard in my system ever. It has a very clean, natural, pleasing sound that I think cannot be beat in its price range. There also seems to be more acoustical space between the instruments with pin-point accuracy and superb detail in the acoustics of the recording environment.

The AMC DAC8 may not be an audiophile grade d/a converter, but it surely is a great d/a converter for only $115US.

I'll have to see if there are any kinds of tweeks or mods I can make to it. Maybe somebody here has some ideas. I'm not sure if it can really be improved apon, but I'm always open for suggestions!
Old 7th June 2003, 01:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

This is close to what I would like to do to my DAC8. The only thing is, the d/a converter for the Nad cd player is a Sigma-Delta. Mine is a..... well, I'm not sure what it is exactly. All it says in the manual is that the "Resolution" is 18 bits.

Maybe someone can figure something out!

Old 11th June 2003, 04:29 PM   #8
Banned

Hi, chops.
Open the lid of the AMC and check what op-amps does it have.
Don't worry about the warranty.
Old 11th June 2003, 04:54 PM   #9
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chops
This is close to what I would like to do to my DAC8. The only thing is, the d/a converter for the Nad cd player is a Sigma-Delta. Mine is a..... well, I'm not sure what it is exactly. All it says in the manual is that the "Resolution" is 18 bits.

Maybe someone can figure something out!

hmm chops i have the same nad player gota link or Schematic

Old 11th June 2003, 10:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carlosfm
Hi, chops.
Open the lid of the AMC and check what op-amps does it have.
Don't worry about the warranty.
If you can find some op-amps, let me know. And when you do, what can be done and why? Also, do you see a clock anywhere? I don't even see a crystal in this thing. And look at all that room in there for lots of mods!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!