Help for a Naim CDI (CDM4/x)'s laser - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2009, 10:36 AM   #1
marcot is offline marcot  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Help for a Naim CDI (CDM4/x)'s laser

Hi everybody:

my NAIM CDI doesn't want to read discs any more (ERR, no TOC reading).

I was told that my mech's laser (CDM4721 or 27, don't know) is dead (by two professional not-naim technicians).

Naim doesn't want to help me with any technical suggestions.

I have read many things on the web about this problem.

Now my question is: is that possible to use a CDM4/19 pick up instead of another one? If it is, do I have to change some electrical values somewhere in the servo board or it fits automatically?

Thanks a lot

Marco
Old 28th November 2009, 08:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Yes : replace CDM4/25 /27 laser

Absolutely!

You can take a CDM4/19 laser arm and transplant it to a CDM4/25 or CDM4/27.

However you will have to adjust the focus and laser power pots to the new laser. I had a CDS which had had a new laser fitted from a CDM4/19. The guy who sold it to me had done the job by himself.

I advise you to grab a CDM4 service manual (any CDM4 equiped cd player service manual will do) in order to get the instructions on how to disassemble / reassemble the rafoc and how to properly align it on the CDM4/25.

CDM4/19 donor cd players are quite easy to find.

Hope this helps.
Old 16th April 2010, 09:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default For Fantasio

I've a similar problem because I bought a NAIM CDi in ebay a little time ago and now the player, when I insert a cd, try to read it and then it writes an error message. NAIM assistance says that the problem is that the lens in exhausted. As I found here, I should have the CDM4/27 mechanic. I found a CDM4/19. Really if I replace the laser it will work again ? What are the differences between mechanics ?

The assistance said to me that often similar mechanics didn't work on NAIM players.

Do you know where could I find a CDM4 service manual or is it possible to contact the guy ho sold you the CDS ?

Please help me !!!

Last edited by Web Wolf; 16th April 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Wolf View Post
I've a similar problem because I bought a NAIM CDi in ebay a little time ago and now the player, when I insert a cd, try to read it and then it writes an error message. NAIM assistance says that the problem is that the lens in exhausted. As I found here, I should have the CDM4/27 mechanic. I found a CDM4/19. Really if I replace the laser it will work again ? What are the differences between mechanics ?

The assistance said to me that often similar mechanics didn't work on NAIM players.

Do you know where could I find a CDM4 service manual or is it possible to contact the guy ho sold you the CDS ?

Please help me !!!

first of all, try to clean the lens with a dry q-tip. 90% of the cases is a dirty lense. make a circular motion from the inside out with a little bit of pressure. be carefull ofcourse not to press too hard!!
Old 16th April 2010, 11:05 AM   #5
io is offline io  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Cdm4/25

JusTone Lasereinheiten. CDM4/11 Ersatz Lasereinheit Laufwerk Lasereinheit, Laserpickup, Laserunit, Pickup, Laser, Laserkopf
Old 16th April 2010, 11:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all who gave me help ! I've just found a CDM4/19 meachanic on ebay (seller says it's status is new ... I hope so ). What if I substitue the laser only ? Have you got a CDM4 service manual ?

Thanks boys
Old 17th April 2010, 12:24 AM   #7
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Where did you find a new CDM-4/19 on eBay? I've only seen used ones on there.
Old 17th April 2010, 10:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Mah ... I think it's a question of ***. Seriously, I hope so. The seller said to me that he has taken some parts from old unsold machines ...

Is out of there somebody ho could help me to trasplant the optic from the CDM4/19 to the CDM4/27 and to calibrate the trimmers ?

Ah, another thing, ... now I can hear a light buzzing from the cdplayer, an electrical noise, but not from the loudspeakers.

Last edited by Web Wolf; 17th April 2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 17th April 2010, 10:57 AM   #9
io is offline io  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Cdm4/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc184 View Post
Where did you find a new CDM-4/19 on eBay? I've only seen used ones on there.

Hi

Hungary sales Philips CDM4/19 NEW Original pickup.
circa 20 US dollar/each

j PHILIPS CDM 4/19 TELJESEN J BONTATLAN CSOMAGBAN!!! - eladó - CD játszó | Expressz.hu
Old 10th May 2010, 06:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi everybody, I'm really desperate !! I replaced the optical unit of the CDi (I took the laser from a CDM4/19 though mine is a CDM4/27). The new optical seems to work, but the player, when trying to recognize a disc, make two complete revolutions and then the message "Err" is displayed. I replaced all the capacitors on the control board of mechanics,too (certainly it is always a good thing), but the behavior of the machine has not changed. Looking at the optical, I can see that it moves itself, focusing etc.

Do you have the opportunity to speak with some experts on this machine and ask them what could be groped?

If the DAC is ruined obviously It would not make sense to repair it. :-(

Thanks again
Simon

Last edited by Web Wolf; 10th May 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!