OCXO 16.9344MHz LOW JITTER CLOCK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Low phase noise is best. The particular running frequency of an isolated audio timing signal wont be noticed by a listener if it's off by 20ppm, or 100 ppm for that matter.

Putting an oscillator in an oven wont give low jitter, unless microHertz(milliHertz?) is part of the measured band. Wasted precision.

Low phase noise is best. The particular running frequency of an isolated audio timing signal wont be noticed by a listener if it's off by 20ppm, or 100 ppm for that matter.

Putting an oscillator in an oven wont give low jitter, unless microHertz(milliHertz?) is part of the measured band. Wasted precision.

Good answer. I don't care it is the TCXO, XO, VCXO, ir what ever XO so I just care the jitter in pS <- is this correct?

I don't understand why many people can notice the differrent between 1pS and 100pS. I can't so it save my money because my sound perception is very bad.

MV14V1CD-16.9344MHz <--- This is good enough, i have some.
If we use the general XO 100ppm of stability (no jitter specification) I think it's OK and I think the low noise power supply (a lot of ******** on DIY website) and PCB layout technique of the whole system are more important.

Anyway, what is the source of music that we are listening - reference record, fim, linn, stockfisch, chesky, top music, and ect. or just MP3.

How much difference in sound the jitter performance of transport/clock make is very, very, very dependent on the type of DAC chips used. If you are running R2R ladder dacs, e.g., PCM1704, PCM1702, PCM63, the chances of hearing the difference between 100psec jitter and 1psec jitter are pretty much ZERO, and ladder dacs have very low sensitivity to it. If you're using 'timeslicing' dacs, i.e. sigma-delta & such, they are very much the opposite, and jitter performance can mean the difference between good & bad sound in the dac.

I purchased a 10MHz OCXO a while ago with the intention to convert it to 11.2896MHz somehow. Now I opened it and found inside an SC-cut crystal with round case. I read on the web that an oscillator built with SC-cut crystal has low phase noise. It seems purchasing a 11.2896MHz SC-cut crystal is nearly impossible. Now the question: could I replace it with a plain AT-cut crystal, taken from a CD-player? Obviously the temperature stability and probably the phase noise will be worse, but I expect it still better than a TTL clock.

Tent Labs sells fully documented, very low phase noise XOs, expressly built to their standards, for $35USD. The PS would still be up to the user. In my personal experience, they make a difference sonically, but if the rest of your gear doesn't have the needed resolution anyway, you're pxxxing in the wind.

Many vendors they can build XO, TCXO, or etc that has jitter lower than 1 pS RMS. Price is upto the spec and quantity? How much min quantity, 1k? Then we just ask them to screen whatever you need on package.

If i have many brand of XO, VCXO , 11.9344MHz, 22.5792, 27, 18.432, 24.576, 12.88, and etc (I just bought it from the old stock from somewhere in this world). May be i need to scratch the label and then re-screen by put whatever spec and/or my name on there. Do you trust my brand and spec? I'm not the well know company and the most buyer do not have test equipment and knowledge to qualify the part, like me. For me i prefer to get the clock from well-know vendor. They have the spec. Just confidence.

Good clock is expensive because they store the crystal raw material (for the aging) then wait until it stable? and/or just demand supply? I see in digikey for 24.576M jitter<1pS is just 4-5 USD.

I think, some people like some level of noise, low noise, low phase noise/jitter, and whatever. For me if have no any noise I'm feel lonely, bore.

Probably, i will spend the money for my regulator to reduce the phase noise/jitter. Should i buy the super bravo ultra low noise regulator from DIY website, price is probabry 30-50USD? Before i spend money i need to see some Engineering explaination how they can make it low noise. Secret? :shhh:

Scratch the package for what, value-added? too basic component?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.