clock upgrade - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2003, 02:04 PM   #1
tonitze is offline tonitze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default clock upgrade

Is it advisable that I remove the resistor parrallel with the crystal at the xin and xout of the saa7350 when I upgrade with new clock. What are this resistor for?

Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2003, 02:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Don't remove the resistor ( there are 2 IIRC ) that goes from Xin to Xout ! The cdplayer will behave badly. Just remove the small ceramic caps that go from Xin to ground and from Xout to ground.
Old 23rd May 2003, 02:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jean- Paul. No wonder my player sound horribly wrong after the clock upgrade. The problem now is that the resistor is no way to be found. Inside rubbish bin i guess and it's smd. what value should i put as replacement . Never aware of the value before dismantle. If not mistaken it should be two of it. Can i just follow what in the saa7350 datasheet?

Toni
Old 23rd May 2003, 02:58 PM   #4

The datasheet says 1MOhm, recently I modified a cdplayer ( forgot the type but it was a Philips ) that had 220 kOhm at the same spot. Forget about the 1kOhm resistor, it's not needed anymore after the upgrade. The 1Mohm/220kOhm is essential for the CMOS buffer that's in the chip.

I guess you have high noises/distortion and the cdplayer skips as well ? In the past I made the same mistake once and the cdplayer gave a high birdsound now and then

If you post the brand and type maybe I can tell you more about the right value. BTW do you have a good PDF of the datasheet of SAA7350 ?
Old 23rd May 2003, 03:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Philips cd951 with tda1547 dac. What do you think of the tda1547. Any good tweak for this dac? It seems that it cannot be mod to non os.

Toni
Old 23rd May 2003, 03:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Regarding the saa7350 pdf. file, I did the search on Yahoo. Don't know whether this one is agood one.

www.ultranalog.com/data/frits/saa7350_bw.pdf
Old 23rd May 2003, 03:20 PM   #7

Don't have the manual of CD951 unfortunately. Maybe one of the forum members has ? I guess that 1MOhm will do but it is better to be safe than sorry, especially with the PCB material of CD9x1. Had a CD931 until 2 days ago so I know what I'm talking about.
They have good mechanics ( CDM 9 ) but these are difficult to find in case of failure. Better buy a spare orange gear because they fail regularly. There is a thread on this subject:

Broken CDM9 Transport

TDA1547 I never liked. Other cdplayers like Teac VRDS 10 and Marantz CD17 have TDA1547 too and they fail to involve me in the music too. One of the more disappointing 1 bit DAC's. You're right that it can't be used non os.

Thanks for the link, downloaded the pdf before from various other sites and got a damaged one everytime.
Old 23rd May 2003, 03:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Infact the tray gear is already worn off due to bad greasing from what i heard. So now whenever i want to change cd i had to do it manually. May be mod it to top loader should do the trick but can't figure out how since that the pcb is lying too low from the upper case/cover.

Toni.
Old 10th June 2003, 01:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I believe this player still can be mod to non-os by bypassing the sm5840,saa7350 and Tda1547 and add a Tda1543 or Tda1541a instead. Am I right?

Hide this!Advertise here!