Revive a heavy weight Denon DCD3300

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi all

I recently received a DENON DCD3300 for evaluation but It seems to have a lazer problem... (It does not read all the discs and the ones it does produce a scratching noise in phase with the rotational speed of the disc).

Can anyone please comment on the availability of a lazer replacement ?

Regards

Ricardo

The wonderful old DCD3300 has a number of common foibles, but it sounds like you may just have one of them in yours, at least at the moment. It's the upper shaft bearing on the platter motor. Although the lovely brushless/coreless hall motor used for the platter spin has a superb sealed ball bearing unit at the bottom end of the shaft, the top bearing is a phosphor-bronze sleeve bearing, and tends to cause trouble. If you're lucky, you will be able to revive it simply by taking the motor apart(it's built into the main transport sub-chassis) and clean out & re-lubricate that sleeve bearing(I use Prolong Precision Oil) and that will cure the problem. If you're unlucky, the bearing will continue to cause trouble & may be hard to revive, if at all.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
After oiling the motor main bearing the beast stopped reading... it also stopped spinning... so I believe the bug is enormous.... I will not go on until I find a suitable lazer replacement.

Can this machine be modded to accept a different mech (Philips?)

Ricardo

PS:
It played two discs before dying and I believe it is good but not as good as my über CD53 :)
It has wonderfull female voice reproduction, very full and fast bass, good stereo image spread but can be disturbed with loud / complex passages and it lacks the super detail I am getting with the CD53.

I have a DCD-1700, which is said as being the same as the DCD-3300, but with an inferior power supply nd no copper shielding.
The laser is KSS-123A from Sony, very common in this times in many brands.
Hope you did not kill it when disassembling, the laser has to be protected from electronic discharge and two contacts on it have to be soldered together before any cable connections are opended.
All the best, Sal

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I did not disassemble it yet :)

I just pumped some oil in the motor bearing using a spray.... :(

I believe the motor can be recuperated so I will search for the KSS-123A.

Can you please explain what contacts must be shorted before disassembly ?

Thank you so much Salar.

Ricardo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.