Rotel RCD-971 gone haywire - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2009, 10:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rotel RCD-971 gone haywire

This is my first post here and I hope that someone can help me figure out what is wrong with my CD player. It's an older Rotel RCD-971 that I bought used on another site last year at a very good price. I've only played it about 10-15 hours as I've been putting together my system.
Today, after playing as usual with no problem, I changed the CD and suddenly the loading tray refuses to stay closed and the machine won't read any disc. The tray closes, there's a "00" reading in the display and then the tray re-opens. It won't stay closed without a disc in it either. The only way to keep it closed is to hit the close button and then turn it off as soon as it's shut. It is firmly shut when it does close though.
I unplugged it for a couple of hours and tried again, same thing happened. It doesn't seem to be the tray gear as it opens and closes smoothly with no slack in it, it just won't stay closed. I like the sound of this player, unmodded as it is, but I'm wondering if it's repairable or not. All advice greatly appreciated.
Dave
Old 12th November 2009, 12:37 AM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

look for some switch in tray mech - it's called end position switch or so .

it's probably culprit , even if I'm not completely familiar with that model
Old 12th November 2009, 04:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, is this something that an inexperienced DIY'er like me could fix or would it be better to have a professional look at it?
Old 12th November 2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Does the mech have belts ? When the drawer closes can you hear the motor run for a second or two.
It's a typical symptom of a slipping belt, lack that final "grip" to complete the loading cycle.
Is it this mech,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mech.JPG (25.3 KB, 347 views)
Old 23rd November 2009, 07:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I checked out the schematic that I was alerted to by a generous DIY member and it seems that it does have a belt in the tray mechanism. Funnily enough after leaving it unplugged for several hours, the tray operated normally when I plugged it back in!
I havn't played anything on it yet but aim to do so later this week after re-assembling my system.
If it is the belt, I'm not expert enough to replace it and my local tech would charge me as much or more than the purchase price I originally paid ($200). I really don't want to get rid of it because it sounds great but if it acts up again I may have to reconsider.....
Many thanks to those who replied to this message, much appreciated!
Old 24th November 2009, 07:56 AM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

$200 for a belt to be fitted... that's outrageous.

Having googled your model for images it looks like it may be a Sony mech ?

Remove the two screws on the disc clamper plate and the whole tray should come out.
It's easy to remove the whole mech too. 2 minutes of a job
Old 25th November 2009, 01:20 PM   #7
RIP

I have a 971, it does use a sony kss210. Dirt cheap and a breeze to work on. Jump on in, the water's fine.
Best, Bill
Old 25th November 2009, 01:24 PM   #8
RIP

Also, I have the service manual, pm me if you would like a copy.
Old 28th November 2009, 02:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bill, Mooly. My question is, what do I do with teh mechanism once I get it out! I have zero experience in electronics but if it is a mechanical issue I'm willing to give it a go.
BTW, teh $200 was based on $50 for the initial examination plus parts and maybe a couple of hours of the tech's time to fix it. He suggested I contact the closest Rotel dealer, which I did, and he said $50 as well for the first examination, credited towards a possible repair which might go up to $200 or more. He then tries to sell me the latest $1k Rotel CD player!
I'd really like to keep this player, right now I'm using a modded PS1 which sounds great but I like to sound of the 971.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

It's been a while since I posted here are the problem with the Rotel 971 took a back seat to other concerns. I recently came across an acrchived for sale posting on head-fi.org for athe same model and the poster mentioned that he had resolved a similar problem with his 971. To quote:
"The only problems I've ever had with it was a few years ago when it didn't want to stay closed and start reading the TOC. It turned out to be the small switch which tells the drive it is closed had become misaligned so I fixed it and no problems since.
The small micro switch which tells the sled motor that the tray has fully closed wasn't conducting every time. *It has a thin plastic extension which bends with age. *All that was needed was to add some material to the plastic extension to make sure the switch conducted when the tray was closed. I'm not 100% sure what I used. It was some small piece of plastic and I attached either with some superglue or blutac. The hard part is getting at the switch though... "
My question is whether this solution is something a newb at DYI can do or should I take it to a tech? I have the service manual which shows how to disassemble the unit but I'm a bit concerned that this may be way beyond my skill level. All advice appreciated....

Hide this!Advertise here!