Recommended output caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Can anyone out there recommend any output caps?
I'm using LME49720HA opamps and replaced the 'stock' caps with 25v 47uf Rubycon ZA's, then after a while bypassed them.

Theres nothing wrong but it just seems to have lost something. I doubt the Rubys are ideal for the job so any help??

My purchase would probably be from Farnell, I know Black Gates and Mundorfs aren't available there but if there's anything on their site which could be good, a part number would be great.

Ta.....

Last edited:
It depends of a few things. One of the main things is how much capacitance you actually need. A lot of the time electrolytic coupling capacitors are specified with ten times the capacitance needed. Have a look at wikipedia's article on high pass filters, and chose a value of capacitance so that fc is between 1 and 3Hz.

If you want to stick with electrolytics, your be bet is a Blackgate. Take a look at the Parts Connexion store, Farnell doesn't stock many 'audio specific' brands.

The best thing to do however is to replace it with a plastic film cap. However, space restrictions may not allow this.

try pannasonic fm back to back (minus poles together)
that gives a bipolar capacitor with half value and much lower distortion.
i would bypass it with a 0.01 - 0.1uF Vishey-Röderstein MKP they make 1% tolerance parts that are awailable from Farnell
the best grade of black gate bipolar is good too but i think modern electrolytics are so good that you can safe the money without ill effect

if you use an electrolytic the value has to be much bigger then a foil cap because they tend to distort in the deeper ranges esr is also lower in bigger elcaps so is leakeage current so a compromise has to be struck pannasonic fm have low leakeage but there is a part from elna (i forgot the name maybe rhe) that has even lower leakeage and is made for audio as the blurb says

It depends of a few things. One of the main things is how much capacitance you actually need. A lot of the time electrolytic coupling capacitors are specified with ten times the capacitance needed. Have a look at wikipedia's article on high pass filters, and chose a value of capacitance so that fc is between 1 and 3Hz.

If you want to stick with electrolytics, your be bet is a Blackgate. Take a look at the Parts Connexion store, Farnell doesn't stock many 'audio specific' brands.

The best thing to do however is to replace it with a plastic film cap. However, space restrictions may not allow this.

Thank you, I think plastic caps are the way. I've started an ammended/new thread with a diagram here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/154798-help-better-output-schematic.html#post1977381

Panasonic ECA range are good,
Your Search Results | CPC

I suspect you may be expecting to much and that the sound hasn't really deteriorated, more your expectation are so high :) Was it better before you replaced the opamps ?

Thank you, I may be expecting too much and no, the ouput wasn't better before the replacement opamps. I've started an ammended/new thread with a diagram here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/154798-help-better-output-schematic.html#post1977381

if you use an electrolytic the value has to be much bigger then a foil cap because they tend to distort in the deeper ranges esr is also lower in bigger elcaps so is leakeage current so a compromise has to be struck pannasonic fm have low leakeage but there is a part from elna (i forgot the name maybe rhe) that has even lower leakeage and is made for audio as the blurb says

Thank you for your reply, I think plastic caps are possibly the way. I've started an ammended/new thread with a diagram here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/154798-help-better-output-schematic.html#post1977381

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.