Cambridge Audio CD6 display light gone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2009, 03:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cambridge Audio CD6 display light gone

Hi,

I was told this was a good place to ask about this!

The light on my Cambridge Audio CD6 display went yesterday, the display still works, if you get up close you can see the readout is working, so I'm guessing its just the light/bulb? But from looking inside I suspect its not the easiest thing to replace. I only have basic technical/soldering skills and would hate to make things worse!

Its not the end of the world and I can live with it but if its a simple job then it would be worth doing.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 8th November 2009, 03:14 PM   #2
Banned

I have a CD300SE with the same problem. I thought the light (on half of the display) was gone forever...but...it came back only not as homogeneous as before. So you might wait a little before you despair.
Old 8th November 2009, 03:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Andrea,

Thanks for replying, interesting, I'll keep my fingers crossed:-) I had actually left the CD6 switched on all day, something I have never done, it was after about 8hrs I realised it was still switched on and the display light had gone - coincidence?

Steve
Old 8th November 2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Banned

Perhaps not? Bah... mysteries of light bulbs. Anyway in my case the green light only disappeared on half display. Now it seems to have stabilized - it's all lit but there's a kind of shadow in the middle.
Old 8th November 2009, 08:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't believe it! I switch on the CD6 no display light, 20 mins later I push tray open button and the display lights up! Beyond me but I am well pleased as I love the sound of the CD6.

Steve
Old 8th November 2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenew View Post
I don't believe it! I switch on the CD6 no display light, 20 mins later I push tray open button and the display lights up! Beyond me but I am well pleased as I love the sound of the CD6.

Steve
I told you! These Cambridge Audio players have some madness in their diplays!

I agree BTW, I heard the CD6 once at a shop (would've bought it if I only could) and it was very good! Some years after, I'd love to put my modified DAC vis-à-vis such a good sounding and richly built CD player.

The CD300SE has always sounded good too, even better after being modified, but my (also modified) DAC outclasses it, as it should given the more up-to-date circuitry.
Old 15th November 2009, 11:57 AM   #7
JohnW is offline JohnW  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Steve,

The CD6 is is one of my old designs - glad you like it. The display "Backlight bulbs" (I seem to recall 3 where used), are located on the front panel PCB. Over the years, the filments (Wire) in the builbs fail - just as with older house lamps. Moving the unit while the bulbs are still hot - can fracture the wire (it gets brittle over the years). You normally find the units work great untill they are moved, then the lamps fail...

Easy job to replace, but you need to be able to solder (and desolder), and require replacement bulbs - I might still have some - but they will be in China - I can send when I return to Europe for Xmas. Sorry I cannot remember the Spec. of the bulbs...

John
Old 15th November 2009, 12:03 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Hi Steve,

The CD6 is is one of my old designs - glad you like it. The display "Backlight bulbs" (I seem to recall 3 where used), are located on the front panel PCB. Over the years, the filments (Wire) in the builbs fail - just as with older house lamps. Moving the unit while the bulbs are still hot - can fracture the wire (it gets brittle over the years). You normally find the units work great untill they are moved, then the lamps fail...

Easy job to replace, but you need to be able to solder (and desolder), and require replacement bulbs - I might still have some - but they will be in China - I can send when I return to Europe for Xmas. Sorry I cannot remember the Spec. of the bulbs...

John
Hi John,

I would need a few of them too, since my CD300SE's (green) display is partially obscured.

By the way... since you were involved with Cambridge Audio, may you possibly tell me what's the opamp hidden under the metal screen in my CD300SE? Just curious. I've been thinking it must be a 5532, but who knows.
Old 15th November 2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Banned

Thanks anyway
Old 15th November 2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Banned

So kind... many thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!