Cambridge Audio CD6 display light gone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was told this was a good place to ask about this!

The light on my Cambridge Audio CD6 display went yesterday, the display still works, if you get up close you can see the readout is working, so I'm guessing its just the light/bulb? But from looking inside I suspect its not the easiest thing to replace. I only have basic technical/soldering skills and would hate to make things worse!

Its not the end of the world and I can live with it but if its a simple job then it would be worth doing.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I don't believe it! I switch on the CD6 no display light, 20 mins later I push tray open button and the display lights up! Beyond me but I am well pleased as I love the sound of the CD6.

Steve
I told you! These Cambridge Audio players have some madness in their diplays! :D

I agree BTW, I heard the CD6 once at a shop (would've bought it if I only could) and it was very good! Some years after, I'd love to put my modified DAC vis-à-vis such a good sounding and richly built CD player.

The CD300SE has always sounded good too, even better after being modified, but my (also modified) DAC outclasses it, as it should given the more up-to-date circuitry.

Hi Steve,

The CD6 is is one of my old designs - glad you like it. The display "Backlight bulbs" (I seem to recall 3 where used), are located on the front panel PCB. Over the years, the filments (Wire) in the builbs fail - just as with older house lamps. Moving the unit while the bulbs are still hot - can fracture the wire (it gets brittle over the years). You normally find the units work great untill they are moved, then the lamps fail...

Easy job to replace, but you need to be able to solder (and desolder), and require replacement bulbs - I might still have some - but they will be in China - I can send when I return to Europe for Xmas. Sorry I cannot remember the Spec. of the bulbs...

John

Hi Steve,

The CD6 is is one of my old designs - glad you like it. The display "Backlight bulbs" (I seem to recall 3 where used), are located on the front panel PCB. Over the years, the filments (Wire) in the builbs fail - just as with older house lamps. Moving the unit while the bulbs are still hot - can fracture the wire (it gets brittle over the years). You normally find the units work great untill they are moved, then the lamps fail...

Easy job to replace, but you need to be able to solder (and desolder), and require replacement bulbs - I might still have some - but they will be in China - I can send when I return to Europe for Xmas. Sorry I cannot remember the Spec. of the bulbs...

John
Hi John,

I would need a few of them too, since my CD300SE's (green) display is partially obscured.

By the way... since you were involved with Cambridge Audio, may you possibly tell me what's the opamp hidden under the metal screen in my CD300SE? Just curious. I've been thinking it must be a 5532, but who knows.

Hi Andrea,

As far as I'm aware, the CD300SE is not one of my designs (Its possible that CA renamed one of my earlier designs). I will dig up some bulbs and send the once I return to Europe during Xmas. Pls. send a private Mail with your address.

I would not be supprised if you found 5532 below the Metal tins - again, this is not my design.

John

John,

Really kind of you to reply, I will send you a PM with my details. Can you explain why the display light on my CD6 dimmed completely then after 2 days returned full and (touch wood) been fine since?

Yes IMHO the CD6 is a superb sounding machine, I am vinyl fanatic and the only CD players I had heard which came close were way out of my price range. Then someone suggest the CD6, I got the chance of a used one very very cheap and bought it - I was stunned, so musical and involving, I have been rediscovering my CD collection - actually I have even been buying CDs again!

Many thanks

Steve

CD-mechanism question

Hello, I recently obtained a CD6 which sounds very nice!
I do have a question to be prepared for the future...
Can you provide me with some information on the CD-mechanism used in the CD6? I already found on the internet that a Sanyo SF-91 is used but there seem to be two versions of this mechanism (pins?). Can you help me please?
Many thanks in advance.
Joost

Hi Steve,

John

I have try to find the exactly type and part No in the part list of Service Manual of CD-6, CD-4 and DISCMAGIC without success. I have make the service for the German distributor by all Cambridge Audio products at that time and therefore I have the manuals. I must never replace the light source for the display and therefore I disass'y the front panel now for looking to the details.
Behind the display I find a white (semi-transparent) box. The lower site is closed with a PCB with the number "PC-1602-2" (also not mentioned in the Service Manual). The solder site (and PCB wires) of this PCB is inside unfortunately.
The measured voltage at the connector CN110 is 4V9. The positive rail of this connector is connected with regulator u2 (7805); not directly, but about a 5 ohm resistor (R9).
I assume, that are 6 V bulbs are in use. For replace this bulbs I would use high power LED's. Please note in this case the necessary of other resistor value for R9

P.S. the developing of this CD Player series was a great work for a very good sounded players (one of the best at that time in that price class), also still today. Unfortunately, the build quality was not satisfactory (typical China made), so I have had a lot of work in those days (1994-1998) through high quotes of returning during the warranty (mostly solder errors and bad quality/large spreads of the pulley (turntable) for the Mabuchi disc motor from a DA11 (Sanyo) China mechanism clone. Fortunately the optical pickup was a version with very high reliability (Sanyo SF-91). Only three faulty exemplares I must replace (from more than 1000 selled CD-Players) until this day. And the reason therefore I have also find out:
1) one unwanted solder connection in the APC circuit
2) two faulty devices with Sony Laser diode SLD104AU instead normally used RLD78 from Rohm

Last edited:
Hi,
This is an old thread, I know, but perhaps any of you can help me anyway...

My problem with the display of the Cambridge Audio CD6 is that the figures fade away and become unreadable. There is still light, but after 5 min. the whole display becomes "foggy" and there are just bright light circles in place of the figures. Does this have an easy solution or will I need a new display?

If a new display is needed, does anybody know if CA CD5 and CD6 shared the same display? I have an old CD5 that I could use for parts if the display can be used for a CD6. Thank you!

Why use incandescent bulbs instead of LEDs?

Hi Steve,

John

Wondering why one would make such a choice... Is there something I am missing?

I have a Cambridge CXC transport with a horribly dim display. It's always been dim. I would not be averse to replacing the bulbs with brighter LEDs. If you can recall the spec of the display, that would be very helpful.

Thx.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.