CDMPro2 aes/ebu? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2009, 01:35 PM   #1
jev is offline jev  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default CDMPro2 aes/ebu?

I have made a CDMPro2 based cd transport. CurrentlyI use BNC connection to my Wadia 25 dac. I have heard that aes/ebu is the better option for digital IC's. Can I transform the output of the CDMPro2 to balanced?
Old 16th October 2009, 06:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi jev,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jev View Post
I have made a CDMPro2 based cd transport. CurrentlyI use BNC connection to my Wadia 25 dac. I have heard that aes/ebu is the better option for digital IC's. Can I transform the output of the CDMPro2 to balanced?
What is for you: a better option for digital IC's?
Do you think about replacing BNC by XLR?

The best wiring between Digital Transport and DAC (Wadia) is a link without noise and reflexion. Reflexion are caused by variations of impedance along the link. Keeping constant impedance in: BNC connector, digital cable and internal wiring is a good practice to avoid reflexions.
Professional studio recording use AES/EBU with XLR, but their environment is different. They use very long cable in a noisy environment. I don't think that you are in this case.

The latest AES/EBU normalization (AES3id) is
- 75 ohm BNC connector
- 75 ohm coaxial cable
- 1.0Vp-p output level
- 1000 max distance

The problem with S/PDIF is the lowest output level 0.5Vp-p. If your Wadia 25 accepts 1.0Vp-p input tension, it might be more useful to change output tension than changing BNC by XLR.

You can find information about normalization in this article:INTERFACING AES3 & S/PDIF

Eric
Old 19th October 2009, 10:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Eric, the spec (pdf document) on the cdmpro2 says "output IEC958 EBU" with description "external clock input 8.4672 Mhz". This means it is a 0.5V output? The Rane document mentions IEC 60958-3.
Old 21st October 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jev View Post
...on the cdmpro2 says "output IEC958 EBU" with description "external clock input 8.4672 Mhz". This means it is a 0.5V output?
Did you refer to Philips CD-Pro2M? User manual mentions output IEC958 with 0.5V peak-to-peak signal amplitude measured across 75-ohm resistor connected to the output terminal.
Old 22nd October 2009, 08:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Eric, when I have time I will try to add an amplifier for the IEC958 output.

Hide this!Advertise here!