Cdm1 mkii

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Thanks for the repy's.

The CDM1 MKII is for my Radford WS1. I think one of this CDP players have all mechanism:

AUDIOLABOR 531 PCM1702 CDM-1 Mk II
EMT 981 PROFESSIONAL TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) CDM-1 Mk II
GRUNDIG CD 9009 2 x TDA1541A -S1 ? CXD1244 CDM-1 Mk II
KRELL MD-20 It? a Transport CDM-1 Mk II
MARANTZ CD75 Mk II TDA1541 A CDM-1 Mk II
MARANTZ CD-80 TDA1541 A-S1 (Single Crown) CDM-1 Mk II
MARANTZ CD-85 TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) CDM-1 Mk II
MARANTZ CD880J TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) CDM-1 Mk II
MICROMEGA CD F1 It? a Transport CDM-1 Mk II
PHILIPS CD-80 TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) CDM-1 Mk II
PHILIPS CD-85 TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) CDM-1 Mk II
PHILIPS CD880 TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) CDM-1 Mk II
PROCEED MRC100 2 x PCM58P CDM-1 Mk II
REVOX B 226 S / E TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) CDM-1 Mk II

So, i think i have to find one of this CDP and replace the plate that have the lazer. What do you guys think.

As i said before, i'm new on mod's . Thanks for all that helping me.

Regards from Portugal

Before you replace be sure to check a 33uf bipolar capacitor on the servo board of the cd mechanism. They have a relatively high failure rate. This may be all you need. Also check all the solder joints-I repaired one of these by simply resoldering some bad joints. Good luck

What are these silver-coloured caps? Electrolytics?

Not electrolytic. They are high precision 1% types, polyester or polystyrene I think. They are used in the servo feedback loops - where they make the player behave totally erratically, and in the de-emphasis network where they make an intermittent roaring sound.

Attachments

• badcap.JPG
    badcap.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 684
Not electrolytic. They are high precision 1% types, polyester or polystyrene I think. They are used in the servo feedback loops - where they make the player behave totally erratically, and in the de-emphasis network where they make an intermittent roaring sound.

I look in phillips cd 880 manual & the value of these caps is 3.6nf @ 160volts. They are 1% polystyrene caps. I looked for a source for these & can't find anywhere. Everyone lists in pf which would equate to 3600pf. The closest i see is 3900pf. Do you know a source for these? Would 2 % polypropolene work if 1% polystyrene can't be found? Thanks Domald

If its similar to the MKI version, there are 5 16v/33uF little blue radial elcos.

Mine was not reading disks, i replaced these 5 elco's with Sanyo Os-Con of the same value and the deck's as good as new now. This is a fairly well known problem given the age of the transport.

Also, I beleive (as stated in a previous post) that the laser can be taken from a cdm4. You will need the SM and a scope to set it up properly tho'. Also, the lense in the original mech is glass and the 4/19 used a plastic one.

I've don't think outright laser failiure is very common on these decks.

Pic showing the caps on my transport

Attachments

• cdm1-caps.jpg
    cdm1-caps.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 700
I looked for a source for these & can't find anywhere. Everyone lists in pf which would equate to 3600pf. The closest i see is 3900pf. Do you know a source for these? Would 2 % polypropolene work if 1% polystyrene can't be found?

I could never find them anywhere either! I used other standard value types of 2% or 5% tolerance in parallel or series combinations, that I measured first to find a very close match.
Eg., 3600pf you could make up from 3 x 1200pf in series, and 1200p is an easier value to find. And then if one of your 1200p is a bit on the high side, compensate by picking the others on the low side, so the total come to a good match.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.