Cdm1 mkii - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2009, 07:01 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Question silver-coloured axial caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Those small silver-coloured axial caps go flakey too.
What are these silver-coloured caps? Electrolytics?
Old 24th October 2009, 07:43 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSerraTico_Tico View Post
What are these silver-coloured caps? Electrolytics?
Not electrolytic. They are high precision 1% types, polyester or polystyrene I think. They are used in the servo feedback loops - where they make the player behave totally erratically, and in the de-emphasis network where they make an intermittent roaring sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badcap.JPG (31.4 KB, 426 views)
Old 25th October 2009, 04:15 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks steerpike
Old 27th October 2009, 02:21 AM   #14
gto127 is offline gto127  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Not electrolytic. They are high precision 1% types, polyester or polystyrene I think. They are used in the servo feedback loops - where they make the player behave totally erratically, and in the de-emphasis network where they make an intermittent roaring sound.
I look in phillips cd 880 manual & the value of these caps is 3.6nf @ 160volts. They are 1% polystyrene caps. I looked for a source for these & can't find anywhere. Everyone lists in pf which would equate to 3600pf. The closest i see is 3900pf. Do you know a source for these? Would 2 % polypropolene work if 1% polystyrene can't be found? Thanks Domald
Old 27th October 2009, 11:42 AM   #15
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

If its similar to the MKI version, there are 5 16v/33uF little blue radial elcos.

Mine was not reading disks, i replaced these 5 elco's with Sanyo Os-Con of the same value and the deck's as good as new now. This is a fairly well known problem given the age of the transport.

Also, I beleive (as stated in a previous post) that the laser can be taken from a cdm4. You will need the SM and a scope to set it up properly tho'. Also, the lense in the original mech is glass and the 4/19 used a plastic one.

I've don't think outright laser failiure is very common on these decks.

Pic showing the caps on my transport
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdm1-caps.jpg (174.7 KB, 380 views)
Old 27th October 2009, 12:14 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto127 View Post
I looked for a source for these & can't find anywhere. Everyone lists in pf which would equate to 3600pf. The closest i see is 3900pf. Do you know a source for these? Would 2 % polypropolene work if 1% polystyrene can't be found?
I could never find them anywhere either! I used other standard value types of 2% or 5% tolerance in parallel or series combinations, that I measured first to find a very close match.
Eg., 3600pf you could make up from 3 x 1200pf in series, and 1200p is an easier value to find. And then if one of your 1200p is a bit on the high side, compensate by picking the others on the low side, so the total come to a good match.
Old 27th October 2009, 02:52 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Also, the lense in the original mech is glass and the 4/19 used a plastic one.
I heard that philips didn't make any plastic lenses during the swing arm error(CDM1-9) but only after the introduction of the CDM12. Was I misinformed?
Old 27th October 2009, 03:11 PM   #18
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

I'm no authority, only going on what I read some time ago albeit I can't remember where. I've googled again and it does seem that the lense is glass not plastic (on CDM4/19 in any case). I stand corrected!
Old 27th October 2009, 08:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hello Steerpike,
Whats the best way to check polystyrene caps-can you use capacitance meter or do they usually break down with load? I have very little expeirence with polys & ceramics. Thanks Donald

Hide this!Advertise here!