Marantz CD74 repair advice - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2009, 04:05 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Removed the CDM0 and tested the A, B, C, D photodiodes and they are all good with consistent reverse resistance. If I put a flash light in front of the lens, the resistance drops consistently as well. Seems the laser is just fine.
Old 31st October 2009, 07:41 PM   #22
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Perhaps you could give an external voltage to the MCES by disconnecting the original MCES signal coming from the SAA7020 and apply +5V on the MCES input of the servo board. This would simulate data input rate too low and force the motor to run at maximum speed for a test.
Old 1st November 2009, 05:29 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I think Q205 (LM339) pin4 uses the FCO signal to generate a kick start to the motor. On my system pin4 measures 6.95V, pin5 6V, pin2 69mV, FCO at 4.6V. When I use multimeter to measure pin4 voltage, sometime I can see motor spins briefly, I guess the measurement cause some interference and generates some MCES pulse.

I will try the 5V MCES idea, oshifs, in your working system, what is the vpp voltage for the MCES signal?
Old 2nd November 2009, 01:10 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

MCES is 0V at idle, then alternates between 0 and +5V but only after the motor started rotating. Note that I had to short pin 3-4 on PT10 connector JT06 with an U-shaped wire (black ribbon cable coming from the back RCA panel PW10). This is because the REMOCON signal at pin 3 should be 0, and after I removed the RCA panel, this went up to 5V. If a transistor is faulty on the RCA board, it may produce the same symptom - motor does not start. I would check also the AUTO READ TRAY IN END SWITCH. There are some small black PCB fuses on the power supply board, did you check all voltages?
Old 3rd November 2009, 05:06 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Yes, I also shorted REMOCON to ground and unplug the 5 pin remote cable completely, but that has no help. I disconnected MCES from decoder board and directly supply 5V to MCES on servo board, the motor does spin at the max speed. From scope I can also observe the initial kick MCES signal generated by Q205 pin2 but it only last a few milliseconds. Once the FCO become high, pin2 goes to 0V. Oshifis, is it possible you check Q205 pin2 on your system to see how long the kick pluse last?

I also observed the SAA7030 runs very hot on the decoder board, and the -2.4V reference voltage is at -2.9V. Is it normal for SAA7030 to run hot?

Really appreciate your help.
Old 7th November 2009, 07:03 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the delay. I couldn't measure at Q205 but I think pin 4 on SAA7020 is the same and it is more accessible The signal is 0V when no button is pushed. When I push the Play button, the signal goes to +5V and there is a signal with high duty cycle (zero level is narrow, high level is wider). Then as the motor spins up, it reverses, zero will be wider, high is narrow. Then in 1 or 2 seconds, the duty cycle becomes around 50%.
When I turn on the player with a CD in, or when I insert a CD and the tray is closed, the same thing happens (I think this is why the Tray end signal is called Auto-Read)
I don't know how hot is the SAA7030 because I bypassed it (converted the player to NOS). The -2.4V has +/-20% tolerance, so -2.9V is within limits.
Old 9th November 2009, 06:20 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Replaced pretty much all chips on the decoding board, SAA7000, SAA7010, SAA7020, SAA7030, RAM chip, but still not working. I don't know what else can cause no initial spin to read the TOC. Bad MCU?

Hide this!Advertise here!