PIC input selector ( preamp ? )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently programmed a pic 16f84 to decode a sony remote and I was wondering what the best way to switch between input sources is. One of my profs recommended using the analog cd4066, but I was wondering if relays would do the job better. I currently have the outputs I need all outputting as "one-hots" so I could easily fire a relay to switch. Is this the best way or is there a better way? What is the best way to control the volume remotely? (is it the relay based APOX I read about?)

Thanks

You'll have to excuse anything I did poorly as this was my first pic programming. I will take any suggestions for improvement.

I have the source for the decoding here:
www.brentcastle.com/irdec.c

schematic is here:
www.brentcastle.com/irdec.png

As you can see from the code I give very loose counts for high and low (these are pulse-width defined logic pulses). If you are curious the start bit should be around 165 (which i just said i was looking for >140) , the '0' bit is about 47 timer ticks, and the '1' bit is about 75 timer ticks. As stated before this is to output a one-hot. In other words, pressing a 1 will output (and latch) rb7, pressing 8 will output and latch rb0. This code was compiled using picclite and is for a 16f84a.

What relays?

Allright, now that I know what driver is recommended could anyone give me advice on what relays are good? I'm not really sure how much of a difference it makes in audio. I must admit I do like the idea of the input selection being audible (with a nice click!!). I suppose I'd do the same thing with the volume control. Are there any reasonably priced relays that I could acquire in bulk to handle both of these jobs?

Thanks!!

Hi,
Last week I started the design of a preamp also using a PIC (as input selector) and analog switches for the inputs.

The idea is taken from the exelent QUAD 34 and 44 preamps which I got a couple of....

QUAD uses the 4066 analog switch, and even that this circuit has been on the market for a long time, the s/n ratio and channel separation is quite good.

With the QUAD design in mind (and 20 years experience with bad and noisy relays) I have layed my eyes on the SSM2402 and SSM2404 analog switches from Analog Device. With a s/n ratio of up to 120 dB and a COMPLETE clickless operation I think this is the most obvisous choice, when designing a new High End preamp.

Don´t misunderstand. Relayes are good!!!! However having a preamp with NO MECHANICAL CONTACTS what so ever in the signal path is just great. :up:

Re: Relays will be much nicer

There is probably some useful stuff in this post from the past

The Hafler 915 preamp (full manual with schematic on Hafler web site, just do a search) and the Parasound PHP-850 preamps (schematic available on request from Parasound) use CMOS analog switches as input source selectors.

As preamps go, you can do much worse than these.

I use Maxim switches cause I have a BUNCH ;)

mlloyd1

jackinnj said:
but there are some very good switches from Analog Devices, Maxim. I would completely avoid the generic CMOS switches.

if you are going to use relays, consider using a relay driver like the ULN2803a -- each gate will drive 500ma.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.