Help! Philips CD80 dead MCU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help! CD80 gurus. I forgot to plugin the front panel 8-pin data cable when power on the CD80. Then I made a stupid mistake, without powering off, I just hot plugin the data cable. Now I believe the MCU is dead, there is no display, and the turntable motor keeps spinning once power up. I measured the RESET pin (pin 1) of MCU (marked SC409017P P115), it's always 0V, even if I disconnect the front panel data cable and power cable.

Are there anything else I can do to troubleshoot? Does anyone know any low end CD player has the same 68HC05 MCU P115 version I can pull MCU from?

Many thanks!

The first thing I would do is check all of the power supply voltages. Continuous operation of the spindle motor doesn't usually indicate a uC fault, it is an indicator that something is wrong with either the decoder or spindle motor drive amplifier. In your case, I would suspect a power supply fault.

Measure the PSU voltages and post the results.

Indeed, a reset pin is normally input. So check the reset circuit itself or it's powersupply.

Some years ago i bought a faulty cd80 with cracks in the powersupply pcb in the tracks. Also the display controller was broken, but i could still order it at a repair shop! Parts are still available, at least over here.

I don't think you can find the same 68hc05 in another player. Philips normally used their own controllers (the thing is made in the former philips plant in belgium), but not here.

The first thing I would do is check all of the power supply voltages. Continuous operation of the spindle motor doesn't usually indicate a uC fault, it is an indicator that something is wrong with either the decoder or spindle motor drive amplifier. In your case, I would suspect a power supply fault.

Measure the PSU voltages and post the results.

Thanks all the advice. I purchased the CD80 service manual and measured all power supply outputs. The +19V rail is at 0V and further narrowed down to a 6V2 zener diode is dead. I don't have the replace parts right now but I will post back after the +19V analog rail is fixed.

Philips CD-80 read error

Hi, I have a philips cd-80 and its always giving me "Error" while reading the CD for first 10-20 mins.. it will try reading but will make some sort of 'tik..tik.. ' noise then it works alright after 20 mins. Any ideas, what could cause this behaviour? really appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Sri

Philips CD80 Flacky Problems

After the player is on for a few minutes if I change tracks or use the Random button I get the "ERROR" message. Have changed all of the electrolytics on the servo board and that made things a lot better but it is still a problem. Have also changed the bi-polar .68uf to poly at the same time that I upgraded the electrolytics on the servo boards. I have seen comments regarding grounding problems, but they were not specific as to which board or to specific components. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you want to completely follow the service manual, the laser current should be tuned (via 4.7K pot) so that voltage across a 4.7K resistor for HFin to TDA8808 to be 50mV when playing pressed CD.

You should first check the laser current and then fine tune the focus. The laser current can be measured by the voltage across a 12ohm resistor near CDM-1 flex cable plug on servo board. You can tune it up a bit if needed, but over 65mA means your laser is about to end the life.

After the laser current is tuned, the focus can be tuned (via 22K pot) to make FElag pin of TDA8808 to be 400mV +- 40mV.

Philips/Marantz CD80 Remote Control

You Philips & Marantz CD80 Guru's -- Does anyone out there have any information on the Remote Control for those units? Will the Marantz CD80 Remote Control work with the Philips CD80 CD Player and vice/versa. Does anyone have the Hex Codes for the Remote Controls or could tell us where to get the Hex Codes? Does anyone have an extra remote that they could loan so that we could get the Hex Codes?

One of the additional features of the Philips/Marantz CD80 Remote Control is the Control of the Alps Potentiometer in the CD80. The RC5 Codes do not control Volume. They do control some standard features but not volume nor other features like the Repeat & Random functions. Not being able to go directly from the CD Player to an amplifier is a Major problem for us!!!

Got the same issue

After the player is on for a few minutes if I change tracks or use the Random button I get the "ERROR" message. Have changed all of the electrolytics on the servo board and that made things a lot better but it is still a problem. Have also changed the bi-polar .68uf to poly at the same time that I upgraded the electrolytics on the servo boards. I have seen comments regarding grounding problems, but they were not specific as to which board or to specific components. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi Michael! Have you managed to solve the problem? Since I got the same variable issue with my transport based on CDM 1 MKII (replaced all the electrolites on all boards with no luck). The issue comes over time (more heat, more errors.) while it's almost 100% is fine when I just turn it on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.