Yamaha CDC-615 DAC question.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2009, 07:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha CDC-615 DAC question..

I picked up a Yamaha CDC-615, CDP today at GoodWill for 9.95. It was in need of a belt and a quick paint job, which I gave it. It works great now and sounds better than the DVD player I've been using for audio.

I've googled it to death and cant find much info on the unit other than it is 18 bit and 4 time O/S.

My question is this, is the DAC in this unit still considered "high end" by todays standards?
Old 21st September 2009, 03:45 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

NO... But that does not mean it can't sound a lot better than the universal player you were using previously. Sounds like you got a seriously good deal in any event.
Old 21st September 2009, 04:37 AM   #3
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

That's as close as I can get
http://www.vasiltech.nm.ru/files/cd-...ransport.htm#Y
Old 21st September 2009, 07:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

As I recall, that series of Yamaha changers & those that came after all used one or more variants of a Yamaha-made(or at least labeled) version of the rather mediocre B-B PCM67/PCM69 hybrid dac chip, where a ladder dac and bitstream dac are combined. You must have a really poor sounding universal player for the Yamaha to sound better. No matter how much upgrading you might do to that changer, it's never going to sound even half as good as even a bone stock Pioneer DV-563A, or even DV-363(usually $20 mint on ebay).
Old 23rd September 2009, 03:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensank View Post
As I recall, that series of Yamaha changers & those that came after all used one or more variants of a Yamaha-made(or at least labeled) version of the rather mediocre B-B PCM67/PCM69 hybrid dac chip, where a ladder dac and bitstream dac are combined. You must have a really poor sounding universal player for the Yamaha to sound better. No matter how much upgrading you might do to that changer, it's never going to sound even half as good as even a bone stock Pioneer DV-563A, or even DV-363(usually $20 mint on ebay).
Thank you stephensank!!!

This is exactly what I wanted to know!

Greatfuly, Bill.

Hide this!Advertise here!