car CD-radio for garage use? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2009, 01:55 AM   #1
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Default car CD-radio for garage use?

I have a cheap home stereo integrated amplifier (radioshack - accurian) that is not being used with an efficient bookshelf speakers. I have an unused PC ATX powersupply with 12VDC out.

Can I pickup a car radio-CD player and rig it so I can output to a home stereo amplifier and play on a bookshelf speaker?

Anyone with a similar setup? thanks,

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 02:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Richard Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Of course you can rig up your car stereo as you described........It is a common practice......usually they are set up in garages as the car stereo will be sprouting wires for the power supply and speakers, not the best looking set-up. Check the current output of the 12 Volt supply. An output of four amps or so should do just fine. Read the power consumption of the stereo in amps, sometimes it will be printed on the back of the unit. A smaller power supply of say just one amp might be overstressed, but can be used if the volume level is kept low.
__________________________________________________ _______Rick......
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 03:05 AM   #3
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
Of course you can rig up your car stereo as you described........It is a common practice......usually they are set up in garages as the car stereo will be sprouting wires for the power supply and speakers, not the best looking set-up. Check the current output of the 12 Volt supply. An output of four amps or so should do just fine. Read the power consumption of the stereo in amps, sometimes it will be printed on the back of the unit. A smaller power supply of say just one amp might be overstressed, but can be used if the volume level is kept low.
__________________________________________________ _______Rick......
this is great!, guess will have to take a look at the amperage rating of the ATX PS and should be reasonably close to radio-CD unit.

thanks again, now have to look around the used radio-CD that I like.

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 03:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Richard Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Chang??
Ok..Do you want to run a pair of speakers off the Car-stereo?
Your description was a little confusing, it almost sounded like you wanted to run the car-stereo thru this integrated amp and THEN to the speakers.
Kinda pointless doing it this way as the car-stereo has an amp in it.
You will find out quite soon that the quality of a common car-stereo will quite probably out perform your "integrated amplifier".
__________________________________________________ ____Rick.......
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 03:42 AM   #5
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Glowbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Quote:
You will find out quite soon that the quality of a common car-stereo will quite probably out perform your "integrated amplifier".
Maybe, maybe not Most head units don't have a lot of unclipped output power, I'd count on maybe 12-15W at most.

Also, remember you have a switched 12V lead to deal with, what color it is will depend on the brand you get...
__________________
Jim
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 05:57 AM   #6
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
Chang??
Ok..Do you want to run a pair of speakers off the Car-stereo?
Your description was a little confusing, it almost sounded like you wanted to run the car-stereo thru this integrated amp and THEN to the speakers.
Kinda pointless doing it this way as the car-stereo has an amp in it.
You will find out quite soon that the quality of a common car-stereo will quite probably out perform your "integrated amplifier".
__________________________________________________ ____Rick.......
I was hoping to use bookshelf stereo speaker which is rated at 8Ohms with sensitivity of 88dB (made for "home amplifier").

If the car-stereo unit has enough power than my radioshack integrated amp will not be needed. I hope the quality of the car unit will out perform my "stereo" amp.

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 05:59 AM   #7
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbug View Post
Also, remember you have a switched 12V lead to deal with, what color it is will depend on the brand you get...
am not sure "what color it is..." mean.

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Glowbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Wire harnesses for car stereo head units (the bunch of wires that plugs into the multipin Molex connector in back) are usually color-coded to make installing easier. So your constant 12V wire might be yellow, but you'd also have a switched 12V line that might be red, for example. Both would need to be hooked up for the unit to turn on
__________________
Jim
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 09:49 PM   #9
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Davis, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbug View Post
Wire harnesses for car stereo head units (the bunch of wires that plugs into the multipin Molex connector in back) are usually color-coded to make installing easier. So your constant 12V wire might be yellow, but you'd also have a switched 12V line that might be red, for example. Both would need to be hooked up for the unit to turn on
that's very helpful, thanks.

gychang
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 10:30 PM   #10
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Glowbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hillsborough, NC
No problem
__________________
Jim
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
''garage sale'' jazzy Swap Meet 15 23rd October 2009 04:21 PM
Garage sale JensRasmussen Swap Meet 20 11th July 2007 05:24 AM
Garage Sale woody Swap Meet 6 16th November 2006 05:35 PM
What cha got for tunes in da garage? RacerXtreme Multi-Way 16 6th January 2006 09:50 PM
Garage sale woody Swap Meet 1 16th October 2002 12:49 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:49 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2