car CD-radio for garage use? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2009, 03:38 AM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There are very inexpensive new car stereos here: http://www.crutchfield.com/c_3/Car-Audio-Video.html

I have bought several new car stereos from these folks over the last decade with great results.

You should be very wary of any used car stereo you find, a great many of them will be broken and they are next to impossible to repair for the mere mortal. (I've done it, and I will never, ever do it again.)

A 15W per channel car stereo should be able to produce fairly obscene spls (LOUD) in your garage with the speakers you mention.

Note also that most car stereo amplifiers have floating outputs and you must keep the wiring for both channels fully independent of each other or you will blow up the amplifier ICs.

I recommend no less than a 5A 13.8V supply, and for good performance it should probably be a linear type. Most ATX supplies will not operate if the 5V outputs are not loaded so your idea may have some issues besides the relative lack of available output current.

One personal recommendation I have would be to avoid Clari*n, (just my opinion and a particular personal bias) based on a bad experience with one of their early models. You may have better luck, but I have generally stuck with Kenwood and Alpine and have been happy.

I have done exactly what you propose with very good results several times in the past where I used such a system in my bedroom.

Last edited by kevinkr; 21st September 2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 21st September 2009, 03:47 AM   #12
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One personal recommendation I have would be to avoid Clari*n, (just my opinion and a particular personal bias) based on a bad experience with one of their early models.
I think the DRZ9255 is , but I haven't had any experience with their other units. Besides, it'd be way overkill for what he wants to do, anyway

I've had a few Alpines the last couple years, and they've always worked great...7893, 7894, 9835...
Old 22nd September 2009, 02:23 AM   #13
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post

I recommend no less than a 5A 13.8V supply, and for good performance it should probably be a linear type. Most ATX supplies will not operate if the 5V outputs are not loaded so your idea may have some issues besides the relative lack of available output current.
I was planning on using the ATX supply..., so likely I will try that first.

gychang
Old 24th September 2009, 01:38 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
I was planning on using the ATX supply..., so likely I will try that first.

gychang
You could also run down to Rat Shack & get a Two-pack of Ten Ohm power resistors for a couple bucks to load down the 5V supply.STK # 217-132, Ten Ohm 10W. So the five volts will see half an Amp, for 2.5W, well under the 10W rating & it should be a nice load for the regulators to be happy. Point is, does the 12V supply also need a minimum load to operate.
__________________________________________________ _____________Rick...

Hide this!Advertise here!