Suggestions please: Improving motor CEC (Mabuchi) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2009, 03:28 AM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

They're both pretty amazing, but the only one I have ever heard is the TL0. I wouldn't mind having one.

The components chosen and used in this design are pretty well considered, I suspect you could improve things slightly, but along the way you may be less than happy with the result. There is often a synergy in the selection of components used, and without understanding the issues the original designer faced when selecting those parts it is hard to know where potential gains and pitfalls lie. (Assuming of course that it wasn't just crass economics that dictated all choices - in which case large gains can often be made. I assume such was not the case with the CEC transports.)

As a designer I have had the experience of others second guessing my component selections and not always with happy results in the end. It isn't to say that improvements aren't possible, but a lot of care must be taken and one would need to make one change at a time to be sure of what the specific effect was (if any, and the changes aren't always audible, but inappropriate choices may impact function and reliability longer term) - and this approach rules out the synergies sometimes achieved by multiple permutations of the same board which usually only the original designer has enough on hand to be able to make these sorts of comparisons.

Peter can undoubtedly talk more to these sorts of issues as he actually owns a CEC transport, and sadly I don't..

Hide this!Advertise here!