Philips CDM1 DUY CD Player ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Komigenie,

That is what I did, there were gains in detail and soundstage. Also have a look at the shingaclone thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120229
There is a lot of evidence to suggest that structural mods to the transport make a big difference.

Cheers,

Richard

OK I look @ this posts ...

What i was asking actualy was: Can i use something like this:

CDPLAYER module

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and to build CD player with CDM1 in it ...

No. That PC board / module is an interface for a computer CD-ROM drive. A CDROM drive already has all the control & servo systems build into it (hence the name IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics), it isn't JUST a transport.

The CDM0/1 require external servo systems, data separator etc.

OK, but - can i use CDM1 with some another Servo board - controller etc ...
What i am asking from first board, can i use CDM1 transport ONLY for custom CD player or CD transport ..

OK, but - can i use CDM1 with some another Servo board - controller etc ...
What i am asking from first board, can i use CDM1 transport ONLY for custom CD player or CD transport ..

Yes, certainly you can use another servo board, but it has to be a servo system compatible with (1) radial tracking, and (2) single beam optics.
The chipset made by Philips for those radial tracking mechanisms does all the hard work, so any board incorporating say the TDA5709 and TDA5708 should work. BUT, those chips just implement the servo sub-system. You need a microcontroller to oversee the whole thing, which may not be part of the servo board, depending on where you acquire that servo board.

Most 'controllers' and kits advertised on the www are not really controllers at al, they are simply interfaces that support the universal ATA instruction set to an IDE (also known as parallel-ATA) CD drive. Those types of 'controllers' will not work with the CDM transports.

Yes, certainly you can use another servo board, but it has to be a servo system compatible with (1) radial tracking, and (2) single beam optics.
The chipset made by Philips for those radial tracking mechanisms does all the hard work, so any board incorporating say the TDA5709 and TDA5708 should work. BUT, those chips just implement the servo sub-system. You need a microcontroller to oversee the whole thing, which may not be part of the servo board, depending on where you acquire that servo board.

Most 'controllers' and kits advertised on the www are not really controllers at al, they are simply interfaces that support the universal ATA instruction set to an IDE (also known as parallel-ATA) CD drive. Those types of 'controllers' will not work with the CDM transports.

Thanx, i can see to you know what you are talking about ... i was looking online to see if someone already have this job done, but i cant find anything ...

Looks like i need to save money and get me this or similar:

CD-Pro2LF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.