Digital to Analog converter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2003, 11:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Digital to Analog converter

Hi - I'd like to use the output of my SB Live (either SPDIF or TOSLINK) to go to my cassette recorder. Is there a D to A board kit available to do this? My preference would be to put it in my cassette recorder housing (there's lots of room in there) and hook-up with a cable. I guess I'd have to solder the output of the DA converter to the line-in jacks of the cassette. Anybody have any experience here? Please let me know. Thank You.
Old 15th May 2003, 10:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The DAC project from www.sound.au.com seems to be just what you are looking for. I build it my self and can asure you that it's not very difficult to build and sounds pretty good (use good output-caps), can be build fairly small, needs simple supplies and provides voltage out (no I/V convertor needed). Furthermore the project is good reading and has some nice links... including TTL to S/PDIF convertor..

The zero-oversamplig DAC from ... ehhh .. help me ... eeh I can't remeber the name. It's a simple smaal PCB, uses a CS8414 and TDA1543, also simple power supply included... what's that name.. hmm let me check..

Regards,
Thijs
Old 15th May 2003, 10:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok , I found it.

http://sound.westhost.com/project85.htm: skip the reset etc. No need for it. I do TTL to S/PDIF passive with only 100nF/330Ohm/100Ohm, and looks good on my scope. Does 24Bit at 96KHz (DVD?) also... nice. Chips can be bought at http://audiochips.net/. I got perfect service when I bougth mine.

http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm This DAC may be even simpler. But it is a NonOverSampling DAC, 16bit/44.1Khz only (CD). Which seems worse theoretically, but sounds good to my ears. The TDA1543 DAC however is a little primitive but cheap. But Scot Nixon sells a PCB which might is a good help if it's your first project. I got perfect service from him too.

Regards,
Thijs
Old 15th May 2003, 10:56 PM   #4
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Default Soundblaster

Remember that the SB-Live only has 48kHz output...

Arne K
Old 15th May 2003, 11:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Good point Cobra2,

I didn't know that. I also don't know if this would exclude the TDA1543. It may just function perfectly fine at 48KHz since it is used in NonOverSampling.

Regards,

Thijs

Hide this!Advertise here!