Twisted Pair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dhaen said:
I've not a clue where to get those.
But, can't you go with 110 ohm? There's a lot of that around, as it's used for studio equipment interconnects to AES / EBU standards.
------------------------------------------
Most distributors (RS and Farnell) sell 78 and 100R, but only in 100 - 300m lengths! I don't need THAT much.

Peter K said:
fmak,

I am not sure if it is CAT5 datacable (4 pairs of twistet pair) that you are looking for. If so I suggest to go to the local computer shop and buy a patch cable of the needed lenght and remove the connectors.

-------------------------------------------
You can get twisted pairs with different impedance characteisrtics. I want to match 78R twisted pair to 75R spdif connections, and 100R to AES/EBU. AES/EBU cables are not generally available in solid core unless you but 100 m of Belden!

Re: Hey Frank.......

Jocko Homo said:
Speaking of Belden 75 ohm......how much do you need?? I may have some surplus that you can use.

---------------------------------------------
Thanks Jocko, but I am only interested in 78R twisted pair. Only in Hong Kong can you buy Belden in 1m qauntities. The coaxials don't sound that good to me.

I have a dCS system which I may try to rewire with GOLD sockets and the right twisted pairs.

Jocko Homo said:
Which ones have you listened to????

Jocko
----------------------------------------------
dCS972/954, which makes most CDs enjoyable if upsampled to 24/192. Very sensitive to cables even on the BNC 75R connections but very musical. Bought for an excellent price in Hong Kong. Should be even cheaper now if you dare go!

Twisted pair inductance/capacitance?

I know that with twisted pair cable we get some inductance in the cable. This is when the (+) and (-) are twisted together.

If we twist together 3 strands of wire and use it as a single (+) and twist together 3 more strands of wire and use it as a single (-), is there still inductance if the (+) & (-) conductors are not twisted together?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

KevinLee:)

I know that with twisted pair cable we get some inductance in the cable. This is when the (+) and (-) are twisted together.
No, most of the inductance value will be there with no twist.
A straight wire has inductance. We only wind it into coils to make it smaller, and to use cores.

I'm afraid the second part of your quesion was too obtuse for me;)

Cheers,

Hello Dhaen,

I do not know all, but based on my knowledge, I am going to have to disagree with you.

(1) Is there anybody out there that can answer my question?

(2) Can anybody refer any sites or articles regarding inductance/capacitance & the twisting of wire?

Thanks

KevinLee

I do not know what you mean by "78R and 100R" twisted pair.

Does the R mean impedance? As in 78 Ohm cable and 100 Ohm cable?

If you are talking about digital connections, them 75 ohm coax is by far the cable will be the closest. I know that Belden 9451 balanced audio sheilded twisted pair cable works out to be about 80 ohms, but Belden does not advertise it.

Belden is big in the world wire market. If you can find a Belden part number you like, then you should be able to cross reference it against what you can find locally in small quantities.

For Digital audio, the AES/EBU balanced cable spec is 110 ohm +/- 20%. No - really twenty percent. It is pretty forgiving. Most of the transmit and recieve electronics are of such a quality, that you can get away with much greater impedance sins.

That +/- 20% spec also explains why you do not need to go out and buy 100 ohm XLR connectors.

More than you might ever want to know (or more than you thought you could know) about wires and cables can be found at:

http://bwcecom.belden.com/college/college.htm

Aud_Mot

KevinLee said:
Twisted pair inductance/capacitance?

If we twist together 3 strands of wire and use it as a single (+) and twist together 3 more strands of wire and use it as a single (-), is there still inductance if the (+) & (-) conductors are not twisted together?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

KevinLee:)

Hi

A straight wire shows some inductance, about 1 uH each meter.

Paralleling both curents (origin and return) electromagnetically couples the wires, reducing the inducatance. A normal mains cable has about 600 nH per meter

Twisting even couples them tighter, but also increases the capacitance, hence, the impedance lowers.

Coax has real high mutual coupling, as the screen is realy closed, no EM field will trade outside the cable. The impedance achieved is about 50 ohm, or sometimes lower

The same can be achieved on a double layer PCB (1.6 mm epoxy), where you have 3 mm width tracks running over a groundplane: Also about 50 ohm

Back to the twists: By playing with the number of twists, the diameter and the tightness, we can affect the impedance

I will keep you update

best regards

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
It's amazing!

How many knocks can the production / broadcast industry AES / EBU standards get?
There, 90% of all digital audio interconnects are 110 ohm, and coupled through XLR's. Digital audio is regularly and reliably sent up to 250 metres down 110 ohm twisted pair cable, which according to some, is also rubbish.
Sometimes it's sent through a "Krone Frame". That's a series of IDC connector blocks that were designed for the telecoms industry, though then they generally don't go the full 250m. The system was designed with ruggedness in mind. Does it cause any problems? No. Are there problems? Yes, sometimes, but always to do with the equipment or it's reference, or an obviously bad connection.

Most of the audio that is used for our tests has been through all this. Is the audio rubbish? Well some is, but probably for other reasons :rolleyes:

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
twist and shout

XLR were never designed for high frequency signal. Impedance matching can be harder to do than with coax. I designed digital cables and digital interfaces for high applications. The SECOND best high end AES EBU cable used two 55 ohm coax. Digital cable are directional since the geometry varies slightly along it's length. This is very audible on many coax and will show up in jitter measurements. With two different sex connector you can't turn the AES EBU around. The original AES spec was revised since it allowed for multiple receiver connections with the drawback of gross impedance mismatch as I recall. The high signal levels make the mechanical damping very important for a decent sounding cable design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.