Anyone know an audio player that can do this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering if anyone knows of audio player software that can display all the albums/artist in a list (of which the font and size can be altered) clicking on which will then open the album showing all files within? Kind of like an iPod does?

Currently I'm using Foobar which shows up like this on the screen:
Screenshot.jpg

I want to make a standalone HDD music player so the text needs to be large(ish) on a small screen. I want an album/artist list of course since it will reduce how much scrolling is required to get to the songs you want to listen to.

Thanks!

Should have said, I only want one window on the screen at a time. I dont want to have multiple tabs or windows within the main window since this would greatly reduce the font size and space available, since the screen size I will be using on the front of the player will only be approx 7".

The interface will solely be scrolling the playlist and clicking to play the song under the pointer (pointer wont be able to move on screen - only files will scroll beneath the pointer). Page up down keys will be available to accelerate scroll speed.

Having an album list (close to full screen as in the above screenshot) which with a click on a title will open a track list (fullscreen, or close to it again) is what I'm after, but so far I've not found any program that will do this.

I am mainly looking for XP software, but I may be persuaded to use Linux OS's if the only option for software is in that variety.

If nothing is available I will just use Foobar as I have it set up currently. It works, but takes extra time to find tracks as it is.

Hi Johnnz

I am right know at the same considerations. Simple but intelligent user interface and great sound quality!

My plan:
- Small nettop with S/PDIF out into a DAC
Software:
- WinXP with self programmed player and ASIO
Operation:
- Output is a 8" USB monitor (Samsung SP-85H)
- IR remote control

Hi Tolu,

Sounds pretty similar to my plan. I know that S/PDIF output is a bit over the top for lossy MP3 tracks, but in the future I plan to have more Flac files, which Foobar is compatible with.

Here's the link for my other thread that documents my progress so far in this particular project:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147884

That USB Monitor looks interesting. I didn't know that USB could be used as a connection for an external monitor. I am trying to do things on the cheap (not too hard so far with old computer gear being pretty much worthless these days) but seems that a small lcd monitor wont be cheap. I may have to use a S-video connection (have an old card I can throw into this desktop) but I expect that the text may be quite blurred through such a connection. Have to try it out though to be sure...

Good luck with your own project and let us know how your progress goes :)

Hi John

here is a first draft of the main screen of my player. It plays mp3, aac, wav, flac etc. Keep it simple! was my advisor. But I think I will use a 17" or 19" TFT! It's cheaper and bigger!

Attachments

• TLplayMini.jpg
    TLplayMini.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
L-I-N-U-X.............
there are scads of media players available for it with lots of configurable options.....

linux also has a lot of embedded versions you could use with single board computers to make a unit that is a dedicated media player.

Last edited:
Hi John

here is a first draft of the main screen of my player. It plays mp3, aac, wav, flac etc. Keep it simple! was my advisor. But I think I will use a 17" or 19" TFT! It's cheaper and bigger!

Looks good Tolu. I like the Keep it Simple principle too. However, I still want to use a small screen to make my unit look comparable in size to other rack hifi components. Consequently, I have to keep all my text as large on screen as possible...

L-I-N-U-X.............
there are scads of media players available for it with lots of configurable options.....

linux also has a lot of embedded versions you could use with single board computers to make a unit that is a dedicated media player.

Yep, and there are scads of media players made for windows too with varying levels of customization. The problem I am having is trying to find one that can do what I want it to (as described above)!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.