Use OS-CON in Vcc? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2003, 05:50 PM   #31
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Jung regulators

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann
Some of the earlier versions with other op amps and using remote sensing ( AD797 I believe) did not tolerate high Q low ESR electrolytics or film bypass caps. I have the Oscons on a opamp base regulator that I built as well.

http://www.e-insite.net/ednmag/archi...97/01di_03.htm

Jung, Walt, "Regulators for high-performance audio, Parts 1 and 2," The Audio Amateur, Issues 1 and 2, 1995.

Fred,
I see you like ohmite metal devil...so do I!
Don't tell me you just had them in your junk box

What's that funny looking star on the bottom right of the board?
The GND? Does it really work better with all those tiny wires, really?
Old 19th May 2003, 05:59 PM   #32
A 8 is offline A 8  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think. You're welcome for the gratitude you have shown for all my efforts to explain this subject.
I guess I am one that like to simplify things and only read the short answers...Sorry.

Quote:
When lecturing on a subject it helps to know more than your audience. Try it sometime.........
I figured this was where I went wrong.....my post was really to offer my practical experiance of oscons...they can be used succesfully for analog as well.

btw I do but as you clearly figured not on the topic of caps or any other technical topic for that matter.......

Ignorance is bliss....
Old 19th May 2003, 10:05 PM   #33
diyAudio Retiree

Default The omite devil made me do it!

"Fred,
I see you like ohmite metal devil...so do I! Don't tell me you just had them in your junk box"

No and not on the board either...... Those are Corning RN60Ds on the board. A favorite of Conrad Johnston on most of there stuff in the past. The spider looking wire is a single point ground scheme.
For real single point grounding, having a seperate return to a single node is the important thing rather than just low impedance traces that still might carry several ground return currents through a common impedance.

"Ignorance is bliss...."

But the Truth will set you free!

I too continue to look for measurable data that correlates with sound quality. A hopeless task in some cases, but it never hurts to wonder.
Old 20th May 2003, 09:05 PM   #34
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Fred my mistake, I have two types in my drawers and I keep getting their name switched, pretty easy for me to do even if they have RN60D clearly printed on them.
Anyway I like them both.
Old 3rd June 2003, 11:55 PM   #35
Oli is offline Oli  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question Coupling capacitors for digital audio

I am currently working on a zero-oversampling DAC.
By reading this thread I have gathered that for decoupling purposes ceramic is best for digital (probably COG is best). The high lead inductance accompanying film and foil capacitors makes these poor with the very high frequencies involved. The noise associated with ceramics is less of a problem when used for decouping.

Is my understanding essentially correct?

What I really wish to know is "What is best type of capacitor for coupling digital signals?" I am working with frequencies ranging from 44 Khz to 100Mhz in some parts of my circuit!

Some people say 'silver mica' is best- but these capacitors become quite bulky. Is there an alternative? Will ceramics or polypropylenes do?
Old 10th January 2009, 10:49 AM   #36
clm811 is offline clm811  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Archived "Dead"Link

Quote:
More on capacitor bypassing:
http://www.ultracad.com/esrbcap.pdf
I found, like others may have, that the link given no longer works;
Therefore, I have attached an archive link for those who wish to read the info:

http://web.archive.org/web/200010101...om/esrbcap.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!